Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
  1. #21
    JK Freak OH9JK's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-18-2012
    Location
    Graham, NC
    Posts
    200
    I have always been a big fan of the OX manually operated lockers. There is little to go wrong when you are out on the trail.
    People are like slinkies --- not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

  2. #22
    Super JK Freak WhiskyPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-20-2011
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    896
    Hey Craig, I've been running an ARB in the rear for the last year and a half since I put in 5.13's and wouldn't have that end any other way. Though I have still thought about the Truetrac up front I think when the time comes for the 44 swap I'll just do it right the first time and do the ARB up there too.
    The only thing that really bums me out is that if you are going to run an ARB your only real options are RCV's since they are the only 35 spline front shaft on the market that the locker requires - unless someone else has released one that I'm not aware of...?..
    As far as I know the Truetracs and majority of the E-lockers out there take 30 spline shafts which give you a few more options and not quite as costly.. usually...

    Edit: I stumbled a few pages around the weba few months that talked about a 35 spline shaft from Nitro that would be compatible with the ARB but nothing official that I could find directly from Nitro or anybody selling them, so not sure if it was just bad info on the pages I saw or possibly they did offer them for a very short time and pulled them back for some reason..
    Last edited by WhiskyPirate; 02-11-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Trying to build smarter, not just larger...

    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisk(e)y is barely enough.”
    ~ Mark Twain

  3. #23
    Senior Moderator

    ECHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-23-2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania Grand Canyon
    Posts
    12,234
    Thanks! for the great info
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership
    Generally just a Crusty ole Smart Arse
    2018 JKU RUBICON RECON EDITION

  4. #24
    Freak of Knowledge JKred's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-16-2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate View Post
    Hey Craig, I've been running an ARB in the rear for the last year and a half since I put in 5.13's and wouldn't have that end any other way. Though I have still thought about the Truetrac up front I think when the time comes for the 44 swap I'll just do it right the first time and do the ARB up there too.
    The only thing that really bums me out is that if you are going to run an ARB your only real options are RCV's since they are the only 35 spline front shaft on the market that the locker requires - unless someone else has released one that I'm not aware of...?..
    As far as I know the Truetracs and majority of the E-lockers out there take 30 spline shafts which give you a few more options and not quite as costly.. usually...
    For the JK Rubicon 44 front and rear the only replacement locker besides another factory locker is the 35 spline ARB (PN: RD157). There have been hints someone is coming out with a 30 spline front replacement (which I think is ARB) but after talking with many different distributors, that's the only option for the Rubicon 44's currently.

    Now, a standard sport/Sahara 44 rear had many options, including a 30 or 35 spline ARB, as well as 30 spline true tracs, detroit soft lockers, etc.
    -Mike
    2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, cage, 2" lift, hydro, etc.

  5. #25
    Freak of Knowledge JKred's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-16-2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
    I have always been a big fan of the OX manually operated lockers. There is little to go wrong when you are out on the trail.
    One big plus to the OX is the actuator fails on the trail (whether it be cable, air, or electronic solenoid) you can buy a tool that threads into the actuation port of the diff cover to lock your axle and help you finish the day.
    -Mike
    2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, cage, 2" lift, hydro, etc.

  6. #26
    Senior Moderator

    ECHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-23-2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania Grand Canyon
    Posts
    12,234
    Mike, my understanding is the both Dynatrac and Teraflex housing are made for a rubicon replacement and non rubicon replacement, then non-rubi you can put in any 44 locker 30 or 35 spline.. Unless I have read it all wrong
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership
    Generally just a Crusty ole Smart Arse
    2018 JKU RUBICON RECON EDITION

  7. #27
    Super JK Freak emoody007's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2012
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    1,023
    I like the simplicity of use of an e-locker over an air locker, however, I can see having a complicated internal issue with an e-locker on the trail that may cause an issue getting home. With the air locker if you were to have an air line or compressor issue you're still working with an open diff carrier that you can drive home on untill you can patch up your air line or fix your compressor. I personally have a CO2 tank for airing up but I think if I was considering a fully selectable locker that I would go with the ARB and take advantage of the air compressor for other uses. One other note, I think I would look at doing a rear locker first over the front. Being that most of the time a locker is used in an up hill climb and the weight of the Jeep is on the rear. I recently went with the same trutrac set up as you because of street drivability but if you're gonna do selectable I think I would spend the extra money and go all out with the ARB. Also I think it would be worth the extra money to do a compressor along with a air tank as well. When camping it will show to be usefull for airing up matresses and even drying off washed dishes and drying off gear before packing it up, not to mention air tools. I know that sounds silly but you'd be suprised what all you can use air for. This is just my 2 cents, if I won the lotto I'd have fully decked out D60's with ARB's sitting on 40's. But I'd also have a nice diesel truck to haul it around on too. lol....

  8. #28
    MallCrawler Dynatrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-18-2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    50
    The 35 spline RCV option is a questionable upgrade (and they will tell you the same thing) as it really doesn't offer much, if any, added strength. The 1.5" 35 spine diameter only covers the innermost 5". Beyond that it's all the standard 30 spline diameter. Going to a full 35 spline shaft, including the outer, requires a much larger 'C' and steering knuckle.

    Selectable lockers can be a great advantage but their strength is also their weakness as YOU must decide when you need them. I can't remember a trip where I didn't hear someone yell out 'locker'. Someone just brain fades and forgets to turn it on. In many cases this isn't an issue but in some, it may cause a major problem. This can also be a concern to the daily driver.

    A Truetrac offers far superior snow traction than an open differential. Since I've run far more years with a Detroit than a selectable my wife isn't accustomed to having to hit a switch. I've had Truetracs in my DD's and prefer them to any selectable. Do I want her to have to hit a button just to leave a slick stop sign? A Truetrac gives you added traction even if you don't know you need it.

    To me, quick engagement and disengagement is a 'must have' feature. I find the OX be be the slowest but air actuation is a major help. If you talk to guys that have had both an ARB and the factory Rubi electric you'll hear hear the ARB is much faster and easier to disengage. I don't factor in either the Eaton ELocker or Auburn Ected as neither is a good option. The 44 ELocker is a weak 2 pinion design and the Ected just isn't a good design. The Dana 30 ELocker is a 4 pinion design and should be considered for anyone convinced they should build their 30.

    The other factor to consider with a selectable is steering. A locked selectable is much harder to steer than a Detroit or Truetrac. This is normal and you'll get used to getting perfectly lioned up before you hit the button (especially in the rocks). If you do a lot of rocks you'll want to get hydraulic ram assist as steering is challenging.

    In the end there is no perfect option. If I had my choice it would be a selectable that went from Truetrac to Detroit. Every available option today has its drawbacks. Lockers aren't needed by everyone and Truetracs might be perfect for your type of wheeling. If you rarely lift a tire you probably don't need a Locker.

  9. #29
    Freak of Knowledge JKred's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-16-2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by ECHO View Post
    Mike, my understanding is the both Dynatrac and Teraflex housing are made for a rubicon replacement and non rubicon replacement, then non-rubi you can put in any 44 locker 30 or 35 spline.. Unless I have read it all wrong
    I'm referring to strictly factory housings (rubi and non-rubi). I honestly don't know if the two aftermarket manufactures offer rubi and non rubi replacements. To my knowledge, the carrier bearing on a rubi is larger that a non rubi 44 (reason why rubi lockers only work on rubi axles), so if aftermarket manufacturers offered the ability to fit both, it would have to be two different housings (I would think). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    In terms of e lockers, emoody, the only real option is factory for 44's. Eaton makes an elocker for the 44, but it is only a 2 pinion locker (like the factory open diff) as opposed to 4 pinion in the factory locker, ARB, OX, etc. however you can run the OX locker with an electric solenoid.
    -Mike
    2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, cage, 2" lift, hydro, etc.

  10. #30
    Freak of Knowledge JKred's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-16-2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
    The 35 spline RCV option is a questionable upgrade (and they will tell you the same thing) as it really doesn't offer much, if any, added strength. The 1.5" 35 spine diameter only covers the innermost 5". Beyond that it's all the standard 30 spline diameter. Going to a full 35 spline shaft, including the outer, requires a much larger 'C' and steering knuckle.

    Selectable lockers can be a great advantage but their strength is also their weakness as YOU must decide when you need them. I can't remember a trip where I didn't hear someone yell out 'locker'. Someone just brain fades and forgets to turn it on. In many cases this isn't an issue but in some, it may cause a major problem. This can also be a concern to the daily driver.

    A Truetrac offers far superior snow traction than an open differential. Since I've run far more years with a Detroit than a selectable my wife isn't accustomed to having to hit a switch. I've had Truetracs in my DD's and prefer them to any selectable. Do I want her to have to hit a button just to leave a slick stop sign? A Truetrac gives you added traction even if you don't know you need it.

    To me, quick engagement and disengagement is a 'must have' feature. I find the OX be be the slowest but air actuation is a major help. If you talk to guys that have had both an ARB and the factory Rubi electric you'll hear hear the ARB is much faster and easier to disengage. I don't factor in either the Eaton ELocker or Auburn Ected as neither is a good option. The 44 ELocker is a weak 2 pinion design and the Ected just isn't a good design. The Dana 30 ELocker is a 4 pinion design and should be considered for anyone convinced they should build their 30.

    The other factor to consider with a selectable is steering. A locked selectable is much harder to steer than a Detroit or Truetrac. This is normal and you'll get used to getting perfectly lioned up before you hit the button (especially in the rocks). If you do a lot of rocks you'll want to get hydraulic ram assist as steering is challenging.

    In the end there is no perfect option. If I had my choice it would be a selectable that went from Truetrac to Detroit. Every available option today has its drawbacks. Lockers aren't needed by everyone and Truetracs might be perfect for your type of wheeling. If you rarely lift a tire you probably don't need a Locker.
    Lol, yes, all of this^

    Can you guys speak to accepting rubi vs non rubi specific hardware in your housings?
    -Mike
    2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, cage, 2" lift, hydro, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •