Jeepin Outfitters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New JK Freak

larger tires, backspace, and clearance?

Considering moving to a 38 13.50 and currently have 4.5" backspacing. I'm at 4" of lift on a 2010 JK unlimited. I've got the body, fender, and bumper issues sorted out, but I'm wondering about clearance behind the tires, specifically the sway end links and the lower control arms (and maybe the frame). The tire is also available in 37 13.50 and about 6lbs lighter, but the 37 is a load range E, whereas the 38 is still a D. The tires are heavy enough already so I prefer not to run a spacer with these two tire options...just don't want to add more stress to the knuckles and related components. Thanks for any insight.

-G

Quote Originally Posted by JKGA View Post
    Considering moving to a 38 13.50 and currently have 4.5" backspacing. I'm at 4" of lift on a 2010 JK unlimited. I've got the body, fender, and bumper issues sorted out, but I'm wondering about clearance behind the tires, specifically the sway end links and the lower control arms (and maybe the frame). The tire is also available in 37 13.50 and about 6lbs lighter, but the 37 is a load range E, whereas the 38 is still a D. The tires are heavy enough already so I prefer not to run a spacer with these two tire options...just don't want to add more stress to the knuckles and related components. Thanks for any insight.

-G

With 4.5 backspacing your going to rub your frame full turned on 38's
    ridin 44's with mud on the doors
    Web Wheeler extraordinair
    The only way to make a Jeep do what you want is to cut that bitch.
    www.krawldaddyoffroad.com

You'll probably rub on the 37's as well. I have 37x12.50x17's with 4.5" of backspacing and it rubs.
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | Rock Krawler 3.5" | Teraflex 1'' Coil Spacers | D30/44 5.13's | 17'' Black Rock Series 942 Type D Matte Black Steel Wheel | 37" Goodyear MTR/K | LoD Shorty Signature Series Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier | LoD Shorty Signature Series Shorty with Stinger | Warn M8000 | LightForce 170's | ORW JK Transmission Cooler

You are going to have to add spacers (NOOOOOOOO!) or switch to something with a 3-3.5" backspacing like Spiderlocks or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook-em View Post
    You are going to have to add spacers (NOOOOOOOO!).
    ? I've got 54,000 miles on spacers. Wouldn't hesitate recommending them.
    '09 2dr Rubicon - 6spd | 37s | 4.88s | DIY PSC Ram | OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evan's Beadlocks | + other stuff

FaceBook.com/GoodyOffRoad
    Build Thread

40k on my spacers. Never an issue.
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | Rock Krawler 3.5" | Teraflex 1'' Coil Spacers | D30/44 5.13's | 17'' Black Rock Series 942 Type D Matte Black Steel Wheel | 37" Goodyear MTR/K | LoD Shorty Signature Series Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier | LoD Shorty Signature Series Shorty with Stinger | Warn M8000 | LightForce 170's | ORW JK Transmission Cooler

I have no problems running spacers. I would run a 1.5" spacers with the 37x12.5 as well with a 4.5" bs wheel. You may not rub while on the road but if you are deflated and pushing on the tire you may run into problems. I popped a 37" mtr/k with 4.5" bs wheel and 5" of lift on a tough climb once when it got into the tied up sway bar. What tire are you looking at? I would agree with not wanting to run an E rated tire, I really prefer the C

New JK Freak
    Thanks all. I've got no problem with spacers from a functional standpoint, I think they are a maintanence item, check 'me, keep 'em tight and all is good. My hesitation in this application is extending the distance of the mass from the bearing points. Ie the tire from the c and the ball joints. I keep thinking of it like putting a pipe on a wrench...a little extra length can make a huge impact on the forces generated. The tires I'm looking at are Toyo Open Country @ 93-100 lbs. if I were looking at a 75-80lb tire I don't think I'd be so concerned. Again thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtman View Post
    I have no problems running spacers. I would run a 1.5" spacers with the 37x12.5 as well with a 4.5" bs wheel. You may not rub while on the road but if you are deflated and pushing on the tire you may run into problems. I popped a 37" mtr/k with 4.5" bs wheel and 5" of lift on a tough climb once when it got into the tied up sway bar. What tire are you looking at? I would agree with not wanting to run an E rated tire, I really prefer the C
    Just for my clarification....

Did you run into these problems even with 1.5 inch spacers and a 4.5 bs wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 JKU / MetalCloak 2.5 Springs/ Fox 2.0 Shox / Truss, Gussets, Front LCA Skids by River Raider O.R. / MetalCloak Upper/Lower CA's Front & Rear / Track Bar/ 37 x 12.50 x 17 Nitto Trail Grappler's on Pro Comp 7031ís / 5:13 Yukon Gears / PSC Diff Covers, Body Armor, & Evap. Skid, Hard Top / ORH Fastback Soft Top / Bushwacker Flat Fenders / PSC Rocker Knockers / EVO Protek Full Skid System / EVO Rock Stars / Nemisis Front Shock Relocation Brackets
    METALCLOAK
    NORTHRIDGE 4X4

The tire puncture was without spacers. On the road inflated I did not have any rubbing without the spacers but pushing on the tires in twisted up off road situations was a different story.