ShopJeepParts.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

karl's (very slow) build thread

I never got around to starting one of these beforehand so I'll start one over here. This is just getting my foot in the door, I'll put up pictures and such later on.

I started with a 2010 Mango Tango 2dr Sport with very minimal options (a/c and 3.73's)

First mods:
    • Tinted soft top windows
    • JKS Quick Disco's
    • Evap skid plate
    • K&N drop-in
    • 15x10" ProComp wheels
    • 31" Mickey Claws
    • Pioneer radio
    • Footwell lighting
    • ......more to come......

I'll work on pics later on tonight and such.

Bone stock, 6/27/10

If you can't use proper grammar then I can't (and won't) take you seriously.

Nothing better then a blank canvas to work with.. make it your own
    Hi I am Craig, Retired U.S.Air Force
    2008 Detonator Yellow JK
    Named " PEEJ"

.................................................. ....[

i started bone stock as well. i think ill start a similar thread

Damn maybe I'll go back and start a build thread I always wanted to but never had the chance always too much crap. I have all the photos. LOL

Keep it going Karl. All in what you want to make it!
    Trying to build smarter, not just larger...

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisk(e)y is barely enough.”
    ~ Mark Twain

I need to get over to photobucket and get some mini write-ups for the smaller projects I did. I guess right now I'm waiting for the rigid duallys to come in so I can add that up here. They should be here Friday! I've been through a couple stages though, so this will be unique for me to chronicle where I've been and where I'm headed.

OK, so how I got the JK is an appropriate place to start the build thread. I had a TJ before this on 2" and 29's (that is important because it explains why I did 31's on the JK) so I was pretty impressed with my TJ but the summer came and my A/C went, so the TJ went in less than 48 hours. There is a story that accompanies that but I'll save that for a later day.

So you see where I started with the JK- 2010, 3.73's, 6 speed manual, and 225/75/r16 (27's).

First mod was the tinted plastic windows, then I got into an accident (rear-ended a lady) and ended up buying a RR XHD front bumper. I ordered the non-winch one because I had no intention of buying a winch, well obviously they sent the wrong one and I ended up with a winch bumper. A few weeks after I got the bumper on then I found a steal of a deal on a winch for it.

Then I was speaking to a member on another forum who was local to me and I ended up buying rims from him- 4 15x10's (guaranteed to fit the JK) for $200 and they were flawless!! A few weeks and $800 later I bought a set of 31x10.5" Mickey Thompson Claws. Now, remember how the Jeep came on 27's? Well I was thinking that I was really stepping up the game by going with a 4" bigger tire. I also recalled my TJ knowledge of a 31" being the biggest you can run without a lift.

Next up on the 'mod' list was the JKS quick disco's. I had them before and really liked the ease of disconnecting so I bought another set for the JK. Following the disco's was a new radio (Pioneer deh-6200bt) and some interior lighting. The lights are 20" FlexLED's from Advance Auto and they tap into the yellow/white wire in the passenger footwell of 07-10's. I went with the blue because I was looking for something subtle but still functional since the $700 Mopar kit wasn't in the budget and the single overhead wasn't cutting the bread.

Up next was a TF BB purchased used from a member because I 'needed' a lift. Well after a few weeks of running it I wasn't impressed with how odd the tires looked in the wheelwells so I sold the kit to a friend of mine. I included the JKS disco's and free labor too. Anyways, here is my Jeep with 2.5" BB and 31's. Yes, I did install the kit in my garage while it was snowing outside.

JKS mounting idea with the BB. I threw the idea out, but it comes back later.

Next up was painting the muffler- High temp flat black did the trick. I lightly brushed up everything underneath there and then just went to town with the paint. I didn't mask anything off or remove the exhaust- just spray away! It still looks pretty good even after a year.

Anyone looking closely at my pictures will notice that I don't have an aftermarket tire carrier or the third brake light- I can't stand that stupid thing. So.....I cut it off and went with the Delta lug nut lights. Super easy to wire up and they work.

When I got rid of the lift I left the Jeep alone for a little while but I got that weird itch again and another good deal came along- wheel spacers. My wheels have about 3.5" of backspacing, so I figured what's a little more and it'll look wayyy better than any other bone stock Jeep.....it'll set me apart from them.

About the same time as that was going on I bought a steering stabilizer relocation bracket. Now that is a very good investment, really. Below is my JeepSWAG relocation kit and a good reason why you need to move yours up.

I also installed a Skid Row evap can skid plate but I cannot say that it is worth the money since I have never hit it.....ever.

Let's see......next is just a series of smaller mods- tinting the front windows, bumping up to 4dr coils, rubi rails, adding backup lights, extending the breathers, bumping to Bilstein 5100's (1.5-3" of lift F, 2" of lift R), Benchmark Designs Oil Pan, swapping to km2's after 30k miles on the claws and so forth. As of 12/29/11 I am on 17/58 coils with 31" km2's, 15" rims, spidertrax spacers, etc. Coming this week (hopefully) should be some Rigid Dually's! Somewhere along the way my brother bought a Rubicon and I was always out pulling people from the "treacherous" snow and water we get around here so I took my sport decals off and put Rescue on the hood. Just another little touch that makes the Jeep mine.

Last edited by karls10jk; 12-29-2011 at 01:46 AM.

To the quick disconnect thing that I mentioned earlier, I welded a nut on the framerail and when I disconnect I just remove the links and swing the bar up above the nut. Screw a bolt in and just let the bar rest on the bolt. It's quick and I never have to carry zip ties around. Best thing- it looks completely normal to the untrained eye- so it isn't something crazy intricate that the factory will void your warranty over. This is the best picture of it that I can find.

And it's hard to complain when a friend buys 35's and allows you to try them on for a day. I didn't get to wheel with them or really play with them much, but they did look sweet when I had them on with no lift. 35" km2's, rubi wheels, spidertrax, and 16/58's at the time.

The TJ is on 31's in this picture.

Pinch seam pic

Any questions on anything you see here, feel free to PM me or e-mail me directly. kswyg001 (at) odu.edu, thanks for looking everyone and long live

List of current (12/29/11) modifications:
    17/58 coils with Bilstein 5100 shocks and JKS quick disco's
    31" km2's on 15x10" Pro Comp rims with spidertrax spacers
    LED interior lighting, Pioneer radio, floor mats, 20% window tint, tinted soft top
    Rubi rails, Benchmark Designs oil pan, Skid Row evap skid, RR xhd front bumper with smittybilt xrc10 winch, Mopar hitch
    Superchips (set to tow tune, corrected tire size, upped the top speed)
    Portable air compressor (thank you Anthony!)

Coming Soon:
    Rigid Dually's, Polk 6.5" speakers, fumoto valve
    Last edited by karls10jk; 12-29-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Hi Karl!
    Hello, I am Kelsey.
    2007 Bright Silver Rubicon Watch me grow here!