New JK Freak

Oil Leak, can't find.

Well I know have a small oil leak that I can't find. I had nothing as far as a leak until I swapped the radiator, don't make sense to me. It's coming from the back of the engine somewhere as far as I can tell. After I got the rad installed I sprayed the dust of the engine and then drove it, I initially thought it was water left on the engine. I've looked all over and can't see anything, any suggestions?

It could be the oil filter adapter (or at least that's what I think it is called). Mine broke and was covered under warranty. I see by your profile you have a 2014. This seems to becoming a common thing with the 3.6.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

New JK Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
    It could be the oil filter adapter (or at least that's what I think it is called). Mine broke and was covered under warranty. I see by your profile you have a 2014. This seems to becoming a common thing with the 3.6.
    I've looked at it several times and see nothing around it but that's not to say it isn't leaking. I'll wait a bit more and see if there's any build up around the oil canister and see, thanks.

MallCrawler
    Quote Originally Posted by tnheritage View Post
    Well I know have a small oil leak that I can't find. I had nothing as far as a leak until I swapped the radiator, don't make sense to me. It's coming from the back of the engine somewhere as far as I can tell. After I got the rad installed I sprayed the dust of the engine and then drove it, I initially thought it was water left on the engine. I've looked all over and can't see anything, any suggestions?
    What Shutterbug said. Just replaced this last month on mine. "Fun" project (if you're in to taking the upper and lower manifold off, haha).

If this ends up being the problem, do your spark plugs while you're down that far. It is difficult to see, but often you can shine a flashlight down in to the valley beside the filter housing/cooler and see the wet oil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180224_163829.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	58525

As you can see, once it is removed it is impossible to see where the leak was actually coming from since there's shit everywhere, but my understanding is either an actually cracked filter housing, (usually from over tightening the top) or one of the many port's rubber gaskets just failed.

Senior Moderator

It might be your oil cooler as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership
    Generally just a Crusty ole Smart Arse
    2018 JKU RUBICON RECON EDITION

New JK Freak
    I may end up taking to a friends garage and let them try and find. I've looked and can't find nothing. It's not bad at all, just a drop every now and then but that drives me crazy.

New JK Freak
    Two of my four 3.6 JKs had a rear main leak, one at a couple thousand miles, another at 35k.

x2 on the trans oil cooler. The unions up near the radiator are prone to fatique-breaks. If you were just working around the radiator, you may have further damaged it. If they start to leak, the oil can run back along the lines, beside the engine oil pan, and then drip to the ground anywhere along that distance, as far back as where they enter the trans. I had that issue. I cut the crappy union out with a dremel tool, and double-clamped on some high pressure hydraulic hose and it hasn't leaked since. Or you could just order the new line set.
    2011 Black Sahara Unlimited
    4" FrankenLift
    37" MTR/Ks on black 17" ProComps
    DIY Hydro-Assist Steering
    Rubicon front axle with Yukon 5.13's
    Rear Eaton E-Locker with Yukon 5.13's

New JK Freak
    Well it's actually fixed itself, or at it has for now. When I changed the radiator out I may have moved the cooler a bit in front which it did but not very much, anyway the leak is gone and I did the Hurricane Trail this past friday and all is well.