New JK Freak

Newbie in muskoka

Looking at a JK8 ... have considered an LJ that has a rear locker too to convert to a "scrambler"... what is the opinion of the LJ vs. the JK in terms of ease of repair/ use as DD / mileage (i know they both are bad but is the JK better than the straight 6?).... and use... i would like to believe going offroad mildly by myself... nothing challenging... just roads you would not take a normal car

thoughts, opinions?
    thank you

New JK Freak
    anyone???

Go with the JK

OIIIIIIIO

New JK Freak
    thank you... any reasons why? have you driven/service/used either/both? thank yoU!

Well, you're asking this question on a JK forum, so I would be surprised if you get a lot of "Don't buy a JK" votes. LOL!

The JK has it's quirks, but it's a pretty stable platform, especially the 3.6l version. I've never owner any other Jeep, so I can't give you an experiential answer. However, after owning this for 4 years, I haven't had any major issues. I've heard of TJ frames being notorious for rusting from the inside out.

The JK is wider than the TJ, so that may come into play for drivability.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

New JK Freak
    I DO appreciate your replies and I expect the forum to be biased. Was hoping someone might have experience with both. So no rust out issues on the JK? (been in production long enough). I have seen an LJ with a frame that I questioned why it was NOT rotted out yet... so much flaky stuff inside the access holes!!
    good point on width, did not know that.
    on some other forums I hear the LJ is better since "simpler" but not sure if that is really true or not

The LJ is nice and will hold its value over time vs a JK because it more rare. They are selling out here for $20k+ unless they have tons of miles on them. Longer wheel base is a plus as well as the extra room in the rear for gear. Fewer electronics on the LJ as well as emissions crap which I see as a big plus.

New JK Freak
    well... looking at a JK8 not just a JK but you do have a point on electronics.... can anyone chime in on the issues the JK might/does have electroncially... had a liberty diesel... computer died, 2500 to buy USED as dealership even 8 yrs later, did not carry them anymore (what!!, thought they had to carry for 10 yrs)... it was more than the jeep was worth at that point.... so i am a bit gun shy... i LOVE the jk8 as well as the LJ scrambler look (have a top already but.... good deal on a jk8 so.... hence why in a quandry.... so ... any comments or is there a "buyers guide/be aware of" for the JK? ( i know the JK8 is still a JK but... different body... thank you to all