New JK Freak

Life in the........

Life in the ........ US.

Ok, maybe you allready see from my nick that I'm from Germany. But I have some ties to the US.
    Love the nature, did some holidays in the US, will marry my GF in Florida in October. Had/will have bussines trips to our site in Illinois and maybe will have the chance to work for some time in Illinois. And...... did some Jeep events here in Germany with US soldiers from a Jeep club.

Now there are many TV reports and series about USA, you read and hear a lot of things.
    With work and day to day life I'm pretty familiar.

But I have a whole lot of questions about cars, hobbies, nature, laws and so on.
    Maybe some folks are willing to discuss some of those things with me.

First 2 things are about Jeeps and what you can do with them.........
    In Germany you have to approve all changes to your car by something like the DMV . You have road worthiness checjs every 2 years. If the police stops you anf have a doubt or you can't prove the legality of parts, you have to go to this check immidiatly.

Also you are not allowed to drive anywhere beside the official roads and ways. Woods are completly off limits. So all the 4x4 action is in ORV parks. Well or illegal somewhere.

Even worse, also camping and bbq is not allowed. Only on private ground or official sites.

How is it in the US ? I always thought and videos on yt also tells this everything is allowed.

But I think you also giot plenty of regulations ? Read that wheels have to be street legal and SAE DOT approved.
    I saw tv series about wildlife police and also noticed extreme tight regulations.
    So how is life really ? What is prohibited or allowed. What is not allowed but nobody cares and so on ?

What are free states and ones which are more like everything forbidden ?

Soy un perdedor

Life in the........

Man, so many subjects to discuss... lol

As far as our vehicles go, most modifications are allowed, but some states do have stricter requirements (fenders must cover your tires, rear view mirrors, side marker lights, etc.). There is no "approval" needed to make any change, but you always have to check your state's laws to see what is allowed.

In some states (like Texas, my home state) you have annual inspections to make sure your vehicle complies.

We have millions of acres of public land that can be used for many purposes. State and national parks are readily available for camping, hiking, etc. most states have ORV parks and every one offers a different experience and terrain. In Texas we have seven or eight such parks and most are big enough to enjoy for more than just one day.

We do have state and federal law enforcement when it comes to wildlife. For the most part they enforce hunting and fishing laws (which really aren't that strict) and investigate poaching and the like.

Not sure what you mean by "free states". Travel is open to all the states and outdoor activities like camping and off roading are a part of life in pretty much every state.

For all the complaining you might see on TV and videos life is really very good here. Yes, we have problems like any other country, but like many others I consider myself lucky to live here and enjoy the freedom to live my life as I see fit.

I'm sure others can add to my comments...

Sent via Wonkavision
    I just saw three people jogging outside my window and it inspired me... to get up and close the blinds.

New JK Freak
    Yes, in some of those "reports" it looks as if was well I donīt know...... fish one fish to much or donīt directly a sticker on your hunted wild and you get directly a fine.
    So there was always a big difference between what I thought about America na d was was told in this TV series.

Also you hear this stories about watering your lawn but only on days with even numbers and so on. Itīs always is it enforced , or just a good urban legend or only in one town. And TV was searching to get this story.

With free states I meant the differences between states like ...... Nevada and maybe California. At least what I think... one quite free and not many regualtions and the other....... gun laws no import of fruits, meat and so on.........

Here in Germany itīs like you can look at everything but not allowed to touch it........

Yeah lot of questions and topics....... but some things are...... difficult to understand.......
    But Iīm trying to understand all of it and if I ever have the chance to work there or in October for holiday and after this a bussines trip I want to be familiar with all of it.

And maybe if I ever can afford a holiday home....... I need to know which state ;-)

Every state is very different. Some are much more "free" than others, for sure.

Every state has their own laws on public land use as well, or even hunting and fishing regulations. Washington has one of the strictest fishing regulations of anywhere I have seen, to the point where some lakes will be in season for some species and not others, while other lakes will be in season for those same species. Pennsylvania allows you to hunt deer with a rifle. Ohio only allows shotgun (as far as firearms go) from what I understand.

Ohio does not have vehicle inspections, but certain parts have emission testing. Although Ohio requires bumpers to be a minimum width, I've been running a stubby for 4 years now and never get looked at twice. And I don't have the mandatory front license plate either.

There is a city in Pennsylvania that has threatened to ticket any Jeep it sees without doors on it - since they have interpreted the law as if they were requires.

Ohio allows citizens to obtain a permit to carry concealed handguns after providing proof of training and a background check. Pennsylvania only requires a background check. States like Vermont and Alaska (as well as some others) don't require and training, background checks or permits.

The watering laws you mentioned are because of drought situations, as a means to conserve water. I've only heard about them being enacted in states like Nevada, Arizona and California. The ban on the importation of fruit was to mitigate the spread of insects that damage the state's fruit crops. Necessary for them, not so much for others.

It may be a hodge podge of laws, rules and regulations, but it was done this way on purpose. Our founders understood the premise that one size does not fit all - one that seems to have been lost among some of our current leaders. Each state was free to enact its own laws that reflected the will of its own people.

There are a lot of great nations in the world - including Germany , and quite a few very bad ones. But the freedoms guaranteed to Americans in our Constitution are not seen anywhere else in the world. Our Constitution is unique in that it does not grant these freedoms to us, but it recognizes that these freedoms existed before it was even written. It may not be the perfect form of government, but it is the best in the world, and I feel very blessed to be living here.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

Soy un perdedor

Life in the........

Shutterbug did a good job elaborating on the subjects.

By comparison, Texas is an "open carry" state, where citizens can obtain a license to carry a handgun on their person in a holster. Texas also allows the open carry of long rifles and shotguns, and come September 1st will also allow citizens to openly carry swords and other "long blades".

Most of the southern states have similar laws regarding hunting and fishing. You can obtain a license for a fee. With both you have bag limits, which puts a number on how many of each species you may catch or kill. For the most part fishing is year around, while hunting has seasons. White tail deer in the late fall and winter, dove in the early fall, turkey in the fall and spring, etc. And each county (what most states are divided into) has their own limits.

One exception to the hunting rules here is feral hogs. Texas has seen an explosion in the hog population over the last ten years or so. They are not a native species to the state and have caused around $52 million a year in damage to land and crops. The state even allows people to hunt them from helicopters.

I've always considered myself lucky to be a Texan. While we do have laws and restrictions, they are not overtly restrictive and we are allowed to live freely. The sheer amount of land and geographic differences in the state gives anyone wanting to live here their choice of topography, climate, and city or country living.

Sent via Wonkavision
    I just saw three people jogging outside my window and it inspired me... to get up and close the blinds.

Thatīs why most of the TV show comes from Oregon and Washington and some of it Texas.

With the guns we have some crazy regulations here. I can buy almost everything, but..........
    Only when Iīm a hinter or in a shooting club for a year. So I own a AR15, a Howa 1500, Rem 870, G17 and a 1911 from Taurus......
    But the AR must be a 100% civil manufactured one and not shorter than 16.75" barrel, Iīm not allowed to carry or have it loaded somewhere. But Iīm allowed to buy as much ammunition as I want.
    But Iīm not allowed to buy more then 2 guns a year. Iīm allowed to buy an AR15 lower without any legal requirements. Iīm allowed to buy a complete upper on my gun licence.... but Iīm not allowed to put them together. They are just "spare" for the one I already own......
    And definitely not enough ranges here. And of course not allowed to shoot somewhere in the country side......
    So itīs always amusing to me, when I visit the US and see signs like: not allowed to shoot when you see people or houses......

Most annoying thing for me is, except the very high taxes and health insurance, that you are not allowed to do anything on your car and then go to the something like recreational use land and drive around a bit, go to a lake, do a BBQ there and camp with friends........

You can do all that on private land but..... well have to pay..... And also itīs getting more and more difficult to get land officially assigned for such use.
    You can buy land and 5 years later environmentalists come and sue you because itīs to loud itīs endangering some never seen species and so on......

And there is so much land which is "destroyed" by the army as test track, for surface mining or old chemical and coal, steel plants........

but like always........ itīs all about the money.
    If I had enough second JK and a prerunner + a nice house in, I think Utah, Colorado, Nevada would be my favorite states, and 2-3 times a year for the 90day tourist visa period would be ok............

Nevada has open carry with no permit or license needed but we have to get a permit to carry a gun concealed which is kinda strange but I do like the fact you have to take some training in order to conceal carry as well as a background check. We can walk into a store and walk out with a gun if you pass the background check. Two counties with the population centers smog here that makes an engine swap hard if you live in those counties. Outside of that there are no inspections and I have never been stopped for fenders, bumpers, or any lift laws. Most states have laws about lifts, bumper heights, and wheel coverage but I find most law enforcement ignores them unless they want to push an issue. Wild fire is a big issue here as is water so know that. Very dry here in the summer. Winter snow is our water source. California is creeping its way east with its liberals, laws, and high taxes. Every time you turn around they are raising taxes. This is something I was trying to escape in Illinois and while they are still much lower then Illinois they are creeping up. Fuel is high here as we get it out of California and Washoe county has a 30 per gallon tax that stays local for roads. Right now we are right at $3.00 per gallon in a time of low gas and oil prices. Housing here is outrageous, been a huge boom in jobs and tech companies moving to the area since 2014 and the housing has gone crazy. $200 per square foot for something that needs to be remodeled and expect around $300 per square foot for a new home in the nicer locations.

Nevada, Colorado, and Utah are huge states with relatively small population centers. In Nevada you really have the Las Vegas area or the Reno/Tahoe area. The two are very different in terms of population and terrain where vegas is out in the middle of the dessert and hot as hell in the summer with a large more liberal population. We are at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains and Lake Tahoe is about 20 min up the mountain from me and the open dessert to the east with small mining towns scattered around. The North part of Nevada is more conservative. We have a pretty good airport with easy in and out and flights to most places. We also a days drive from several locals like LA, Portland, Salt lake City, Vegas are all out 8 hours. You can hit the bay area in about 4 hours. Towing a trailer, it takes me about 13 hours to get to Moab or the west slope of Colorado. Moab might be a place to have a house that you could rent most of the year but is a rather small town and you have to drive some distance to bigger population centers of 50,000+. Its hot there in the summer as well. You might add Idaho and Wyoming to your list if you want something more secluded and cooler in temps but may pose a challenge just to get to in the winter months.
    Good luck with your search and look me up if you visit the Reno/Tahoe area.