Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • PSC Big Bore XD

1 16.67%
  • Ram Assist

5 83.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Ram Assist vs. PSC Heavy Duty Steering Box

I've been debating this steering upgrade since PSC came out with their heavy duty steering box.

I want to install hydro assist, primarily for some additional insurance against breaking a sector shaft should I go to 37s, but also to make steering with my front locker engaged a lot easier.

I've been offered some help getting a ram installed, and ever drilling and tapping my steering box. That's around $400 +/-. I'd have to remove my steering box, get it drilled and tapped. Weld on tabs for the ram. Install the ram and run hoses between the steering box and the ram.

The PSC steering box is $850, double the ram assist. But the only thing I would need to do is remove my steering box and install the PSC.

The PSC has fewer parts to fail, less to deal with, but costs a lot more. But I have no idea id it performs as well or better than the ram assist.

Detailed, qualified, opinions wanted.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

MallCrawler
    After watching Grecko's problems this weekend I am even happier I went with the PSC box over the assist. My steering did everything it needed to & more this weekend with 37's & locked on outer limits & crawl daddy.

Chips,dips,chains & whips Casamtb's Avatar
    was it acting up again?
    2013 JKU Sahara - Deep Cherry Red | Auto 3.21 | Synergy 2.5" Custom Lift | Cooper 33s | Some Armory Stuff | 50-ish other things now too numerous to remember.

An assist done right is going to be better. Yes is it more work but isn't that typically the case when you upgrade something. An assist failure on the trail should still allow you to drive under the box if you cap the lines. A broken sector shaft is a tow ride home after you get pulled off the trail.

If you still and tap your own box it should be closer to $250 rather than $400. Also I'm curious as to what failures people are having/ have seen. I've had a line loosen up 1 time on me and it was fixed within a second of noticing. I also have yet to get new lines made so I can reroute them better; as they're right out in front and exposed; yet I still haven't had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtman View Post
    An assist done right is going to be better. Yes is it more work but isn't that typically the case when you upgrade something. An assist failure on the trail should still allow you to drive under the box if you cap the lines. A broken sector shaft is a tow ride home after you get pulled off the trail.
    I have to agree with this. Assist is putting the additional load directly at the tie rod. It is reducing the stress on the drag link and steering box, as well as frame mounts. The new PSC box uses a larger sector shaft/bearing and larger internal piston to generate/accommodate the higher steering force, but still has to load it through the drag link to get to the passenger knuckle. So you're not reducing any of the load on the drag link, or frame.

There are more parts involved but properly set up should work without issue. It's a safe bet to carry extra lines and port caps with you on the trail. Additionally I carry an extra pump.

A caution to keep in mind: the ported factory box, factory pump, 1.5" ram setup will still bind in rocks. Its significantly better then factory but you will still find in large rock, locked, that you might not be able to turn. It will also be a little sluggish in high speed wheel movement/fast corrections, as the flow rate from the factory pump isn't high enough. The PSC box should not have issues like that.
    -Mike
    2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, cage, 2" lift, hydro, etc.

MallCrawler
    He broke a tie rod end but the ram couldn't be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by neohiofan View Post
    He broke a tie rod end but the ram couldn't be removed.
    Why couldn't the ram be removed?

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

Last trip out I layed my Jeep on it's side coming off a ledge. The driver tire came off the bead, I snapped a shaft, blew the r/p, and the driver side tie rod end snapped. When help finally arrived w/ my spare tie rod I simply unbolted the ram and tied it up to my front bumper.
    (My tabs are welded on my tie rod and my spare has no
    provisions) it wasn't ideal, but it certainly was able to drive home. Mind you this could've been a bit better if I used a clamp rather than welding on the tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MallCrawler
    I guess something with the steering box.