P0344 Camshaft Sensor Code

Since the internet is a bit sparse with information on the Jeep P0344 code (see most was apart of the 3.8L crowd) figure I would keep this as a thread so that if someone goes through this, at least my experiences will be written down.

The family and I were on the highway leaving town when the jeep went into limp mode and a check engine light chimed on. We weren't that far away from the house so we decided to head back. Stopped by Autozone to get a code read and it came up with P0344 - Camshaft Sensor Position Intermittent. Purchased a new sensor ($20), headed home and was able to replace it quickly. Went for a short drive on the tollway to highway speeds (75-80 mph), no CEL, so decided to pickup the family and attempt this again. Heading out again, we make it 2 miles more than the last time, same story, CEL, loss of power, etc. Decide to switch over to the other jeep and set up an appointment with the dealer.

At this point, they have been unable to look into it, but they did ask if I used an OEM part. I told them no, and the service rep is going to relay it to the tech. He was out this weekend, so I have to wait until Monday for a resolution.

I will say, I'm expecting the sensor to be replaced, codes reset, then they'll charge me labor/parts and send me on my way. Knowing that the sensor itself is a very basic part, I do not think that this is going to be resolved by paying for an OEM part. I think I still have the original part somewhere, just need to keep it around.

Nothing exciting about this yet, but again, information for this is hit or miss, some of which don't have a resolution.

Though some responses may indicate a head/cam issue, which at this point wouldn't surprise me. It's a 2013, probably on the cusp of the head rework from Chrysler, so we'll see, I just haven't found the correlation between this code and the head as of yet. It may be there and my google-fu is lacking.

Should be an adventure!
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

After a few days with the dealership, they were unable to get the code to come back on. I took the jeep back since they were pretty booked and decided to try and have it fail again...it didn't.

So, I got to thinking about the situation a bit more and the one item I did not mention was that I recently added a small 12v fan for the backseat for the kids. It plugs in directly to the 12v (battery direct) in the center console. The only difference between the past few days and leaving out of town is the fan. When the sensor failed, fan was on, since the fan has been off, it has not failed. I'm scratching my head a bit. I need to do a test run with the fan on again to see if it is actually the problem as I have been driving during rush hour traffic and don't want the code to throw in my commute.

IF it is the culprit, the question is why. I do not have any other problem with my other accessories, though they aren't constantly on and are relayed/fused and switched. I have dealt enough with complicated electro-mechanical systems to know that electrical problems just don't "resolve" themselves, so I would like to get down to the bottom of this...so any thoughts on the way moving forward are welcome.

I do plan to see what kind of load I see on the battery with the fan on/off, and with the other accessories. Should be easy enough to do.

I can see now why there are little to no resolutions to this problem. Oh, well, it runs.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

So, didn't even have to do any investigation work, the sensor code threw again on the way home. This time, I made it about 400 miles before the code. Took it by the dealer and got the same question if it was aftermarket or not, said it wasn't a Mopar and the service rep gave me an unmistakable look. I asked if they were just going to take the jeep and put a new sensor in and re-test and she confirmed, so I figured it's a quick fix, I'll do it again. So no fan or any other electrical component at this point. I will say, either I'm paranoid, or I am starting to notice a brief lag in power at highway speeds. Though, it feels like the typical wind effect, but hell, who knows. I don't have a data logger just yet, looking around to get one to see if I can record while going down the hwy to see what the engine is doing. Well, now for the next time if fails, hopefully sooner rather than later as I have to travel this coming week.

2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Aaaannnndddd, we are back to the dealer. Made it 600 miles on an OEM sensor, so I would care to say not a sensor problem. I am traveling for work through the end of the week so hopefully they can do a bit more research. My question now is to keep messing with it. I have a feeling that this will be a back and forth for a period of time in which I'll pass the 100k powertrain warranty (if it is something in the engine), then not sure what at that point. It's an little early to tell, we'll see what happens.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

That sucks. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

meh, we will see, dealer has had it for 1.5 weeks and light hasn't been back on, they won't do anything until the light is on again. I had to reset the code as I was with the family an hour away from the house. Its been there 3 times now for the same issue, I'm curious as why not call FCA at this point to see where to go on diagnostic. For sure they would have repository of symptoms and checks. I pick it up tomorrow if the light isn't on, rental cars aren't cheap. At this point, I have a feeling my options are to drive it until the root cause is found and leaves me in the side of the road, or get something else. Problem is, not having a payment is fantastic and I'm not sure what I would get for trade in to justify what I want for the replacement. Or...just do a V8 swap and move on with my life.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

So to update this...

No code has been thrown for quite a while, not sure what is going on at this point, but I've been a few months since the last incident.

The water pump however has decided to start bleeding out...ugh.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk