Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DJORDJ's build

MallCrawler

DJORDJ's build

So I pulled the trigger last night and ordered as stripped down as necessary version of a base Unlimited.

The only thing I am debating on putting in on the order is a 3 piece hardtop instead of the cloth top.

For 900 bucks more

Estimated wait time is April 2017.

The build sheet is below.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Wrangler Unlimited 4WD/4 Door Sport

U.S. Factory Limited Warranty

Owner's Protection - 7 Year/75,000 Mile Major Component Coverage

Ziebart Vehicle Protection Package

U.S.(Domestic) Inland Freight Charge

Delivery Point Processing Service - Single Unit Priority Handling

No Temporary Tags Available

50 State Emissions

3.6 Liter V6 24V VVT Engine

6-Speed Manual NSG370 Transmission

3.73 Rear Axle Ratio

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

Sport Trim Level

3.6L Manual Sport Quick Order Package - (ERB/DEH)

P225/75 R16 BSW On/Off Road Tires

Exterior Paint Group

Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats Interior Group

Black Interior Trim

Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat

Radio 130

Sirius Satellite Radio

LED Lighting Group

Major Standard Equipment

16" x 7" Lux Styled Steel Wheels

Sunrider Soft Top Order Group

Black Sunrider Soft Top

MallCrawler
    Nice! sure your going to love it. I pretty much did the same thing besides the color and went with the hardtop becuase I figured softtops are cheaper to get aftermarket and hardtops are crazy expensive so food for thought.
    2016 rhino sport unlimited
    3 inch teralfex lift
    17 inch sota wheels
    35/12.5/17 maxxis creepy crawlers
    4.56 gears
    adams front and rear 1310 extreme duty driveshafts with solid joints
    Ace Pro series front bumper, Ace Rock Rails, Ace Halfback Rear Bumper, with Ace Gatekeeper
    Xrc Fender Flares
    poison spyder diff covers

Unless you plan to keep the hard top on & never take it off I'd say save your money. There's really no need for it. I run my soft top year round and have no issues keeping the Jeep warm even in subzero weather. The heater on the JK is enough to melt your skin off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I went with just the hardtop option and sold it after a year for about $1500 and got a trektop plus a couple other things for the Jeep and have had zero regrets...
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost..." - J.R.R. Tolkein

MallCrawler
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Joe View Post
    Unless you plan to keep the hard top on & never take it off I'd say save your money. There's really no need for it. I run my soft top year round and have no issues keeping the Jeep warm even in subzero weather. The heater on the JK is enough to melt your skin off.

And I was wondering how well does that soft top hold up in adverse weather conditions. I also have a baby on the way, and that is another reason for being on the fence.

MallCrawler
    [QUOTE=greenmachine;410828]Nice! sure your going to love it. I pretty much did the same thing besides the color and went with the hardtop becuase I figured softtops are cheaper to get aftermarket and hardtops are crazy expensive so food for thought

Thank you for the input, and that is another thing I am looking at also. 900 dollars now, who knows how much later. How has the Jeep been treating you

MallCrawler
    Quote Originally Posted by briaros6 View Post
    I went with just the hardtop option and sold it after a year for about $1500 and got a trektop plus a couple other things for the Jeep and have had zero regrets...
    How difficult is the hard top to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by DJORDJ View Post
    And I was wondering how well does that soft top hold up in adverse weather conditions. I also have a baby on the way, and that is another reason for being on the fence.
    I've had no issues at all, but it is parked in a garage at night. I might think twice if I had to leave it out all night & let piles of snow & ice build up on it.

As far as durability, going into 3rd winter and the top still looks like new.

I'll let those with an actual hard top chime in on how hard they are to remove, but suffice it to say there are companies that make winches to lift them off. It is not a one man job.
    Last edited by ShutterBug; 12-15-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Progress

I would absolutely push to get the hardtop. It's $900 added to something financed when you're already shelling out nearly $30k, if not more. My single biggest regret about buying my Jeep is not just grabbing that hardtop when it would have been super inexpensive to have done so. If you hate it, sell it for almost twice what you paid and buy a soft top for cheap. Especially with a baby, having that solid, quiet enclosure is something that's not a bad thing.

As for a soft top in the winter, I haven't had any issues with mine in the 4.5 years I've had it. It doesn't insulate as well, so with a baby, having the ability to hold in the heat versus having the blowers keeping you warm is something to consider as well.

I personally haven't removed a JKU hardtop, but have put a hardtop on my 2dr. It's six(?) Torx bolts on the tub and taking out the freedom panels. I'd recommend two people just to make sure you don't ding up the relatively fragile fiberglass on the corners, etc. My brother made a little hardtop winch with a boat winch that works incredibly easily in his garage; unbolt the top, hook the hoist frame on, crank it up, and drive away. Probably takes just a little bit longer than messing with a soft top by the time you take all the windows out and stow them.

That's my $.02.