Thread: Moab

Moab

So this may be a dumb question, but as I'm relatively new to offroading I'll put it out there.

I see all these pictures and videos of Jeeps at Moab, and I think to myself: "This looks AWESOME!" It could be a great guys trip for my buddies who have Jeeps, or for me and my sons, but then reality and concern sinks in. Do you need a heavily modded Jeep to run those trails? Or would a relatively stock JK be able to handle it?

There was an episode of Spike Xtreme 4x4 a few weeks ago where Ian broke his rig and then ran the rest of the day in a Jeep Renegade with a Daystar puck lift and slightly larger tires. Of course he wasn't doing anything too crazy, and it looked absurd but he looked like he was having a good time.

I've never been to Moab, but I imagine it's just like any other place - hit the trails you are comfortable with and you'll have a good time.
    2011 Black Sahara Unlimited
    4" FrankenLift
    37" MTR/Ks on black 17" ProComps
    DIY Hydro-Assist Steering
    Rubicon front axle with Yukon 5.13's
    Rear Eaton E-Locker with Yukon 5.13's

Moab is on the bucket list but you're relatively close to URE, you may want to check that place out and see what 'mods' will serve you best. I played down there all day with a low lift and some 33's. My jeep is built plenty well for everything on the East Coast that I need to play on and I think as you accrue more miles, you'll find the same thing about even your jeep.
    2010 Mango Tango 2dr on 33" STT's plus bumpers- no more, no less.

No, you don't need a modified jeep to run most of the trails at moab. It is amazing how sticky the rocks are there and the traction is insane. You will climb stuff that you would say "no way" back east and do it with ease. We had a JKUR with us last month and he had 285/70/17 tires and ran everything we did without an issue. Knowing some of the lines and having a good spotter is important on some of the trails.

Driving his wife's Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtman View Post
    No, you don't need a modified jeep to run most of the trails at moab. It is amazing how sticky the rocks are there and the traction is insane. You will climb stuff that you would say "no way" back east and do it with ease. We had a JKUR with us last month and he had 285/70/17 tires and ran everything we did without an issue. Knowing some of the lines and having a good spotter is important on some of the trails.
    Couldn't agree more. A very lightly modified JK can do very well there. The traction is amazing.
    RubiXcon
    No matter what you have, there is ALWAYS a better way to do it.
    My build thread- http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...ld-up-of-JKarl

What they said!

Our first Moab trip was in an 08 JKU, 285 MT tires on stock wheels and a Rough Country BB! We used the Charles Wells guide book as our trail guide and had a blast!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	56512

Views:	64 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	56513

Views:	65 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	56514
    11 JKU
    85 CJ-7

RED Friday (Remember Everyone Deployed)

My YouTube https://m.youtube.com/user/CJ7nvrstk

There is so much to do and see out there, you won't have trouble finding trails that suite your jeep, modded or not. Hell, they rent out stock sports with street tires in town. A lot of focus, IMO, is on the slick rock trails, but that is really a small portion of what it has to offer out there. You can get to Arches via a small trail that enters somewhere in the middle and avoid the crazy crowds, or hit up some rough road going to Canyon Lands. Hit the slick rock trails, or go further past to the national forest and camp (gets to 70's at night even in the summer). There is a really cool lake in the La Salles called Oowah lake (spelling). I used to live an hour away, and I rode a 4 wheeler for a while. IF, and big IF, you don't want to do Moab, on the Colorado side of the border, there are a number of trails in the desert there too. Make a week of it, hell, two weeks, you won't be disappointed. We would go for a couple of days a year and would always find something new. I've never hit the knarly stuff, I'm a bit of a wuss. There are roads and trails everywhere. I heart moab. I miss the rockies. Take me with.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

New JK Freak
    I have been to Moab 4x and will go again in the fall and hope for many more. I think if you like the outdoors then it is a place that will call to you forever.
    I usually go in the fall, September/October. If you are camping expect sun but plan for a cool night. I am from Canada and should be used to the cold but sometimes that desert can really chill you.
    If you hit the internet you can find many stock friendly trails. The scenery and slickrock makes any off road an experience.
    Moab is a small tourist town. If you are taking your wife and kids then do some research so everyone enjoys themselves.

New JK Freak
    Old post but it's that time of year again! We are just four weeks out from Easter Jeep Safari 51! We are peeling out on the 7th with our first trail out at BFE running Strike Ravine on the Patriot Crawl on the 9th.

Anyone else heading down on that Friday?

By the way; above you mentioned the TV coverage from Spike TV last year. those guys were all over the trails with us at the patriot crawl (starting at about the 6 minute mark)

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...3/moab-madness