Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bender build

Looks like insurance is going to fix the jeep. Only thing to prevent this is if they can't straighten the frame, which we'll know by Monday or so. Fault was assigned to the other car, but since they either were not chased down, or don't have insurance, this falls under mine, but since it is uninsured motorist, I can still apply for the diminished value of the vehicle since the frame repair will more than likely drop re-sale a considerable amount. After going through all the options, this may be the best turn out. Good news is I'll be able to upgrade a number of parts that will eventually be covered by the original quote, so another small silver lining. Just back to the waiting game...
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

And now, it's totaled...replacement car is on the way, and now to decide to buy it back or just cut my losses
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Bummer. Depending on cost, maybe it is worth buying it back and building it as a dedicated trail rig. I guess it depends on how hard it would be to source a frame (or at least a good front half) and how much you want to spend on it. Tough decision.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
    Bummer. Depending on cost, maybe it is worth buying it back and building it as a dedicated trail rig. I guess it depends on how hard it would be to source a frame (or at least a good front half) and how much you want to spend on it. Tough decision.
    Conservative number is 6k up to 9k including frame. If I buy it back, I get the jeep and $12k, then will have to buy the parts and go from there. Plan would be to get the frame straightened, get it running again, buy a new frame, they are surprisingly cheap, swap everything over. This would require space and lift equipment I don’t have. And since I’m buying another car, not sure if I want a high payment and drop that kind of cash on the jeep. I did present another option to the Mrs. we want to change out her Cherokee this year, and with trade in on it, and some cash we could get into a new JL for roughly where we want. My car would be paid for and we would have a minimal payment and have a Jeep again. She’s down as long as the backseat is better than the JK. Two small children and car seats make a small backseat not viable. It sounds like an option, but I was told I wouldn’t be able to lift or anything like that, at least until it becomes mine down the road.

There is an LJ Rubicon a couple of houses down from me that hasn’t moved since we’ve been here. Thought about making an offer depending what’s wrong.

I have till Thursday to make a decision. So I’m going to talk to the body shop and get their opinion on it and go from there.

Now I just have to wait until the roads here in Texas clear up for the replacement to get here, I may have it tomorrow if weather permits.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

New JK Freak
    Nice build you got there. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by grayroad View Post
    Nice build you got there. Awesome.
    Thanks, it was a lot of fun getting it to the latest point, sadly, wasn’t in the cards to keep it. I ended up letting insurance pay me out for it and moved on. I think we’ll look at a new JL this year and start over, we’ll see.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk