Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bender build

nice build great work on the home made parts. Wish I was that good with building things.
    2013 Rock Lobster Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Smittybilt SRC rockslider steps and much more to come as money allows.

with a few projects i want to accomplish this summer, I decided to brush up on some fab skills. My wife wanted a pull buggy for our son, and after some online inspiration, I thought it would be cool to make it look like a jeep. Problem is I think this thing is going to be heavy and may need some mechanical assistance. But, I hope it's something he can grow into and we can add to as he gets older. I'm looking at about 12-13" wheels with triangulated 4-link f/r. I have all the heim joints from a previous project, so it will be interesting to see how it comes along...

2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

I think I may have taken this too far...

I used a 13" tire and believe that a 15" would be much better.

2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Wow, haven't updated this one in a while,

A few minor changes,

Made a fold out table, I put this in the DIY side:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170430_190246.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	58386

recently redid the top using Raptor Liner, it was a mess:

Top Before:

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	58387

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	58390

Top After:

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	58388

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	58389

Overall, I really liked spraying the stuff, so far, nothing out of the ordinary other than the lingering paint smell, I would HIGHLY suggest doing this with a respirator, made it much more tolerable.

Next up, water pump install...fluid was really low, making gushing sounds and after looking under the front, looks like the water pump is close to giving out. I already had the parts due to a smell of anti-freeze since about 20k miles (I'm at 92k now)...
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Water pump/Thermostat installed, chasing down a ghost rattle, then today...

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	58435

Well shit...

Now just to wait and see what insurance says. Pitman arm is sheared at the steering box,drag link is sheared at the passenger knuckle, and some minor movement of the hood, bumper and fender as far as i can see. Not sure about the axle, but the tires did hit the back of the fenders. control arms look ok, but i'm sure they will need to be measured.

Happy New Year everyone!
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Sorry to see the damage... Hopefully the insurance will cover the new D60 and 40's!
    2014 JKUS | Lift | Wheels | Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Mallicon View Post
    Sorry to see the damage... Hopefully the insurance will cover the new D60 and 40's!
    Not sure to be honest, they just picked it up today, but looking at it further, I believe the frame may be bent. I didn't notice it in the photo above, but if you look at the driver side vs passenger side of the bumper, it leans a few inches to that side. The insurance company is going to review it and I'll find out either Friday or Monday what will happen. It actually turned into a hit and run, I hit them, they ran, so unfortunately, my insurance will be covering all of this. It was not in a great part of Houston, so no-one stuck around to give a statement, and the car with it's rear-end demolished took off. So...we shall wait and see.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

So this may get interesting, received a call from an initial claims adjuster that looked at the Jeep and said all should be good from first look to be repaired. But it was a very superficial review, and the body shop had to dig into it more to see what the overall condition is. I had to get some other items from insurance lined out but they gave me the info of the shop since I am/was planning to upgrade a number of items that had to be replaced, but I wanted to see what else was up with the Jeep as the insurance rep informed me they found more broken. I head to the shop and talk to the guys there going over what else they found, and let's say they were much more thorough. Front axle is done (not initially reviewed), steering box is done (no-brainer there), grill and grill mounts, fender, headlights, bumper (maybe), control arms (both sides), and...potentially the frame. When we were going through everything, I was a bit suspicious that the bumper was bent, it's reinforced very well at the frame mounts, and with the twist up front, I was thinking frame. When they looked closer, they saw that there were signs of buckling in the radius behind the spring mounts. Enough that it's visibly different between the driver and passenger side. This is what the bumper looks like compared to the grill, there is no longer a gap between the grill and bumper on the passenger side.

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	58436

I guess we'll see what happens Monday when they measure the frame up.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

So did you hit something/something hit you?

I'm amazing anymore just how much damage "minor" accidents seem to cause anymore. Better the Jeep than you, I guess.

2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My "Lil' Mule"
    JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
    My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
    So did you hit something/something hit you?

I'm amazing anymore just how much damage "minor" accidents seem to cause anymore. Better the Jeep than you, I guess.
    I hit an Altima coming through an intersection, I was probably doing between 30 and 40. It wasn't a love tap for sure. I hit the back quarter panel and spun them around a few times. It didn't feel like much on the jeep at the time, but I guess I hit them harder than expected. I got out to see how they were, and the next thing I know they are backing onto the road and then took off with the whole back end dragging down the road. It was quite amazing to be honest. No one stayed around for a statement and the cop filed a report and that was about it. He didn't make it sound like much was going to be done in finding the other party...oh well. I was good after, just not sure about those in the other car.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk