Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bender build

Bender build

Figured I have done enough items to the jeep to start a build thread for the Jeep we like to call Bender (Futurama reference)

In 2013 I got the itch to get a jeep. Always liked the way they looked and after realizing they upgraded the engine, I started the search. Long story short, couldn't find what I wanted, so ended up ordering the Rubicon. Figured I would get the bells and whistles (sway discos, locking axles, ect) to keep me satisfied for a bit, so for the past couple of years I have just added a few items here and there:

Smittybilt storage box

Paracord handles (red and black)

Wet okole seat covers (black with red piping, see a trend emerging?)

Smartdoor stops (keeps doors from shutting like every other car on the road)

ARB dual air compressor with MORE engine bay mount

Drake hoodpins (best ever for hood flutter! highly recommend!)

Rear highlift jack mount

I also like to build things, and after getting a tubing bender, decided to add rails to the stock rock rails

They have since been powder coated

First attempt at tube doors

I made the mirror mounts and got cheap replacement mirrors for 10 bucks. Worked better than the ones you can buy online for a lot cheaper.

I built a rack to mount my air tank (writeup is in the diy section)

My son's carseat also matches the theme of red and black

Bedlined the grill and added some pizzazz

I bought the aev backup camera, but when i got it, it didn't fit between the spokes, so i got a license plate relo kit, weatherpacked terminals for quick disconnect and voila!

2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

My wife, son and I enjoy finding the road to nowhere and have spent some time in Moab, Ouray, and other places in between. In stock form, the jeep far exceeds my abilities. However, after adding a number of goodies, the stock suspension started to get squishy. Since we had discussed overlanding, I started looking for replacement springs to help compensate for the added weight (hitting a bump at highway speed and tripping the traction control wasn't pleasant)

Not really wanting a lift to complicate matters, I found that I wanted the OME heavyduty springs. It would net a small lift, but nothing too crazy. I was in luck, someone on the forum here had a set of springs and wheel spacers (needed after getting the wider duratracs). So i jumped on it. Little did i realize, or just didn't pay attention to the fact they were 2.5"lift springs...damn the bad luck.

So convinced the wife that we needed the higher rated springs and all the parts to go with it, she caved and I got to spend monies!

OME 2.5" lift coils (repowdercoated locally)
    OME shocks
    OME Steering stabilizer
    OME rear trackbar bracket
    JKS Front Trackbar
    JKS geometry correction brackets (much needed to shore up the front)
    Homebuilt front and rear swaybar endlinks

I did the shocks, springs, and stabilizer at once. Drove it around for a couple days, didn't like how the front felt flighty. So got the correction brackets and front trackbar and it now rides much better.

But wait, why lift a jeep if you don't get bumpers too!

I ordered the JCR Mauler front bumper, quadratec 9500i synthetic, d rings and 2 led lights to replace my fogs

JCR Rear bumper is on its way. I have to say I love the way it looks and it sits right in my line of vision with the hoop so I know where the front is. Can't wait till the rear gets in to finish this up.

And lastly, how it sits today (added my wifes basket to my jeep for "storage" purposes). All mounts, rails and brackets were built by myself.

With all of the work done so far, it's not quite trail ready. I still need to install my front swaybar endlinks, make brakeline relo brackets, and add extended bumpstops to the front.

I am a bit bummed though. I recently took a transfer from Denver to the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. I have found a couple overland rallies that I want to attend in surrounding states, but so far I haven't found much in trails locally for a day trip. Not like we could back in CO, or weekends in Moab. So if anyone knows a place (I keep seeing a Rausch place in Eastern PA) I'm open to suggestions!
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Weekend Warrior
    nice looking jeep,welcome from Indiana.

Roof Rack and cross rails from Unistrut. They are in prototype stage right now. I need to unbox the welder, get some gas, then make it look pretty. With .25" screws, I will be able to add most any Thule or Yakima part, like the rack, really easy. I just need to get some handles to make it better:

And the last piece came in today! JCR Mid-Width bumper!

Now, just need to build a tire carrier as a winter project.

next is moar powa!
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Hey nice looking build ! Yea Rausch creek is awesome probably going out one more time this year ... If you want to go out post up I'm sure at least one freak would be happy to show you around and keep you on trails your rig can handle
    2015 JKUR
    JCR bumper
    Mce fenders
    Evo leveling kit
    35 inch Km2

Found a 27" light bar at Tractor Supply for half off, couldn't pass up the deal. Decided to go to a hood mount and since the brackets that came with the bar wouldn't work, decided to re-purpose some stainless to make brackets for the hood.

The first design I used some mild steel, but when i made the brackets, I didn't pay attention to where the spray nozzles for the windshield wipers were and wasted an entire evening on useless brackets ...so therefore these were born. Since they are stainless, I think I'll leave em as such and no paint.

all lit up...

Now that the weather is getting nice, I decided to break out the mtn bike and work of a couple of years of insulation. With the kids seat in the back, it's a pain to take it to a local trail, so I found some metal that needed to be re-purposed at my shop and voila! I need to make the horns for the bikes, and finally (after 2 long years) have my tubing bender set up, so that will be tonight...

Metal is 3/16" for the brackets and 2" square for the bars. It has a bit of a wobble in the receiver that I think i have a way to work it out.

The mount is hinged to let the gate open, and where the horns will be is also hinged for storage.. I'm planning on making the horns long enough where i can use it as a table/stand. might as well make the most use out of it!

2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Looks good. I had a Yakima KingPin that was very similar in form to your rack. It came with one of these that really eliminated the wobble:

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Hitch-B.../dp/B001T82U2S

I bought a second one and added it to my Harbor Freight cargo rack with the same great results. Mine had an SKS lock core on it to secure it.
    2011 Black Sahara Unlimited
    4" FrankenLift
    37" MTR/Ks on black 17" ProComps
    DIY Hydro-Assist Steering
    Rubicon front axle with Yukon 5.13's
    Rear Eaton E-Locker with Yukon 5.13's

Quote Originally Posted by bradm View Post
    Looks good. I had a Yakima KingPin that was very similar in form to your rack. It came with one of these that really eliminated the wobble:

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Hitch-B.../dp/B001T82U2S

I bought a second one and added it to my Harbor Freight cargo rack with the same great results. Mine had an SKS lock core on it to secure it.
    I'll have to look into that, thanks for the share! I have one of the locks setup for my jeep key on the back though, I wonder if that core will fit with the yakima pin...
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Senior Moderator

Great looking build
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership
    Generally just a Crusty ole Smart Arse
    2018 JKU RUBICON RECON EDITION

Finished up the Bike rack for the most part last week. Unfortunately, i got a nice case of the stomach flu and it has been raining so no chance to really try it out, but at least it looks nice! Not too bad for a $20 build either...

Pin spot to keep forks from moving around when not in use.

Added an adjustable turnbuckle to help with the sag due to "loose" tolerances of the holes, but works out well and is quickly removed to open the gate...

and it holds a bike!

It feels good to be making stuff again.

Now on to more serious issues, like the leaking water in the rear tailgate, gurgling noise coming from the engine, the constant smell of antifreeze, steering clunk, backup camera taking a shit, smelling of burning rubber and a weird vibration coming while driving.

From research, I have a feeling I need to look into the waterpump for a couple of these issues. Steering clunk, found a nice little writeup to try shortly. And tailgate leaking sounds like a common problem. At least I have some direction!
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    2014 Cherokee Trailhawk