Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The Family Luxobarge Build

First to catch up...... I was looking high and low for a good deal on a Rubicon when I came across a great deal on a loaded Sahara and decided to pull the trigger. My last Jeep was a 98 TJ 4 cyl, 5 speed that didn't even have a radio antenna or carpet so all this paint matched everything, leather and electronics seemed quite fancy to say the least!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	53337
    2014 JKUS | Lift | Wheels | Tires

August 2014

This is my daily so my plan was just to enjoy it and not do any modifications. This wasn't really a realistic plan as I just love to tinker with things that make noise. We had the Jeep a few months and me, the wife, and daughter decided to go to the Bantam festival 2014. This was modification overload for me, and to my surprise the girls had quite a bit of fun as well!

I decided the best place to start would be a small lift so I picked up a Rubicon Express 2.5" Coil lift in the fall. My buddy Dave offered his help, garage and tools and we had it all put together in a few hours.

Name:	IMG_1797.JPG 
Views:	458 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	53338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	53339

Soy un perdedor

Nice choice. Just be prepared to part with more cash at some point... lol
    I just saw three people jogging outside my window and it inspired me... to get up and close the blinds.

October 2014

So I decided on Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels and 35" ATZ P3 tires. Can you fit 5 wheels and 35" tires in a Jeep? I couldn't so I did the spare 1st and then loaded up the rest.

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	53340

Got it home and took a total mall crawler shot! Much improved over the factory stuff.

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	53341

November 2014

Got a chance to put the new upgrades to the test and went to Southington with my friend John. This was the first time out there for both of us so we took it easy but had a great time!

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	53342

On our way out I ran into Speed2005 and he gave me a little tour around the lake. He also set us up for a photo op.

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	53343

Speed has a really well built rig and this was the first time since the new tires I thought..... maybe I should have went bigger? Apparently, based on many other posts I have read, I am not alone.

November 2014

The 35's on the factory mount frightened the crap out of me. Teraflex to the rescue with their carrier. Fit was good, super heavy duty and I now have a place to mount my CB antenna when the time comes.

Name:	IMG_2029.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	53344

May 2015

I don't care for the cold so much, and need to take a spending break after the big upgrades so not much happened over the winter. May rolled around and I picked up a CB, and got my front doors off for the 1st time.

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	53345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	53346

May 2015

Bantam was coming around again and I figured some oil pan protection would be a good idea. I picked up the TJM engine/transmission/transfer case skids. These were pretty affordable and I haven't really done any really hard trails so even though they are not as thick as some of the other options out there I figured some protection is better than nothing. I am mostly happy with these although I do have one mounting hole where they overlap that did not line up. They are more than secure for now, but I do plan to address this at some point.

June 2015 - Bantam Festival

Packed up the family again to head back out to the Bantam Festival. I love this event! The people are great, lots of Jeeps, it is affordable, and it is family friendly. So on Friday morning we got the luxury 4x4 limo muddy. Then on one of the blue trails I made an error in judgement by not listening to the spotter and we got a close encounter with some nature....

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	53347

The spotter and volunteers stepped right in, made some jokes to calm my wide eyed daughter in the back seat, and amazingly pulled me off the tree with zero damage! I mean not even a scratch. I can't thank these guys enough and lesson learned... Listen to your spotter!!

After that we broke the world record for longest Jeep parade and called it a night.

On the way back to the trails the next day my wife asked if she could drive. I said sure thinking she would do one of the easy green trails and that would be it (note: to her cars are simply transportation). I could not have been more wrong. Hours later she looks over and says... "Oh, I;m sorry, did you want to do any trails today?" She loved it and decide we need lockers. I am not sure she really knows how they work, but she knows we need em'!

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG 
Views:	447 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	53348

July 2015

I never really liked the plastic steps. They work great for a daily, just not my style. After the run in with the tree last month I also decided some rocker protection might be a good Idea. So I posted a wanted ad on the forum and BCT made me a great deal on a set of enhanced Rubi rails he was not using. I chopped em down at the back for tire clearance, and bolted them up. Love the factory fit, and it looks fantastic. I was surprised how heavy duty these were and they should offer great protection for the kind of stuff I get into.

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	53349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0184.JPG 
Views:	430 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	53350