Senior Moderator

Next-gen Wrangler will keep solid axles - NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like they have come to there senses & are keeping the solid axles

Next-gen Wrangler will keep solid axles

Like its grille, Wrangler axles are a hallmark.

Name:  AR-302169971.jpg
Views: 23625
Size:  42.4 KB

DETROIT -- The next-generation Jeep Wrangler will keep the floating solid axles considered key to the off-roader's ability to traverse nearly any terrain, Automotive News has learned.

The next-generation Wrangler, due in 2017, will get some updates to its suspension to improve ride and fuel economy. However, the basic design that allows the axles to maintain traction at all four wheels while traversing the most difficult terrain will remain.

News that the Wrangler will keep its basic suspension design will come as a huge relief to Jeep loyalists who had worried the body-on-frame SUV would move to an independent front and/or rear suspension to reduce the vehicle's weight.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles officials declined comment.

It also will come as a relief to an aftermarket industry that sells several billion dollars in accessories each year to Wrangler owners, according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association.

A solid axle design means that the next-generation Wrangler can be "lifted" to allow greater ground clearance and makes it easier to use oversized tires. Vehicles with independent suspensions -- such as the other five vehicles in Jeep's global lineup -- are far more complicated to lift.

With the news, the design of the next-generation Wrangler -- which must shed weight and improve its aerodynamics to improve its fuel economy -- is beginning to come more fully into view. The SUV will have a lighter, aluminum body and be smaller than the current model. It will have a fixed windscreen with a significant rake to improve its aerodynamics. It also will come with an eight-speed automatic transmission, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne has said that the next-generation Wrangler will utilize smaller, more powerful turbocharged engines than the current 3.6-liter V-6 powerplant.

You can reach Larry P. Vellequette at lvellequette@crain.com.
    Last edited by ECHO; 02-15-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership
    Generally just a Crusty ole Smart Arse
    2018 JKU RUBICON RECON EDITION

heard a while back they were considering an aluminum frame. No mention of it here, so I assume it's still a steel frame which is good.
    Jeff
    2007 2 dr silver one ton rubi - comp cut & stretched on 42" PBR's
    2011 JKU black rubi
    KRAWL DADDY OFFROAD

What would the disadvantages be with independent wheel suspension on a Jeep? What little I know of how it works, it seems as though it would be an advantage.

MallCrawler
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek View Post
    What would the disadvantages be with independent wheel suspension on a Jeep? What little I know of how it works, it seems as though it would be an advantage.
    Components are typically weaker

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You risk major suspension damage while rock crawling with IFS. With a solid axle, when a single tire crawls up an obstacle, it raises the whole front end, moving stuff up and out of harms way. With IFS, that tire will rais, but as the suspension articulates, it doesn't raise the rest of the stuff nearly as much leaving it susceptable to trail damage. That's why rock crawlers typically use solid axle set ups. That is unless you have super deep pockets and can built a race rig that cost more to build than my house!

The IFS would be great though for the street and high speed desert stuff.
    11 JKU
    85 CJ-7

RED Friday (Remember Everyone Deployed)

My YouTube https://m.youtube.com/user/CJ7nvrstk

You would not get the same level of articulation with a independent as you do with a full float solid axle. High dollar race vehicles can get massive travel, but the idea of a factory produced road vehicle being able to match the current coil spring over solid axle is a dream at best. Think of the Hummer H3, the rear axle will twist and shout just like a JK/TJ, but the front is constantly hanging one tire in the air because there just isn't enough drop or rise. I know, I have had 2 lifted H3 Adventures (4:1 low range and E-Lockers) and no matter how you look at it, it is not equal to a JK off road. If the JK went to independent, it would make the TJ/JK very much more desired and valuable to the true off-road Jeepers. It's just plain a bad idea. It's also why, in my opinion, there is currently no real competition on the market for a Wrangler JK. It is hands down the ultimate off-road vehicle for sale in the united states today, and will likely remain such into the future. These off-road packaged Chevy Colorado trucks will never keep pace with a Wrangler when things get twisty.

The Wrangler is the king. Period. Jeep/Fiat would be insane to screw that up.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango with Towing Group and Cold Weather Group.

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    You would not get the same level of articulation with a independent as you do with a full float solid axle. High dollar race vehicles can get massive travel, but the idea of a factory produced road vehicle being able to match the current coil spring over solid axle is a dream at best. Think of the Hummer H3, the rear axle will twist and shout just like a JK/TJ, but the front is constantly hanging one tire in the air because there just isn't enough drop or rise. I know, I have had 2 lifted H3 Adventures (4:1 low range and E-Lockers) and no matter how you look at it, it is not equal to a JK off road. If the JK went to independent, it would make the TJ/JK very much more desired and valuable to the true off-road Jeepers. It's just plain a bad idea. It's also why, in my opinion, there is currently no real competition on the market for a Wrangler JK. It is hands down the ultimate off-road vehicle for sale in the united states today, and will likely remain such into the future. These off-road packaged Chevy Colorado trucks will never keep pace with a Wrangler when things get twisty.

The Wrangler is the king. Period. Jeep/Fiat would be insane to screw that up.
    Just so you know, wranglers are equipped with a semi-float axle, not full float. Just clarifying, I don't mean to come off like a dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgeorelf

Elton John Tour 2019

Sir Elton John is my favourite UK singer of the world. http://mewberrys.tumblr.com