Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Rear trunk cover for jku

So I've been thinking about making a rear cover for my Jeep out of wood or some type of metal. Has anyone already done This?? I would cut it to sit on top of the trunk lip and use round bolts so it can only be unscrewed from underneath. Anyone??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2010 Rescue Green Unlimited / 3" Synergy / 35" Toyo RT / Superchips / Ace Sliders / Rubicon D44 Front w/ E-Locker / Synergy Tie Rod / Synergy Track Bar / DIY PSC Hydro Assist / Rugged Ridge Snorkel / Rigid Industries Duallys / PSC Evap Skid / Full Clayton Skids

Every man dies, not every man really lives

i've seen several threads on this - not sure if they were here or on another forum. you should be able to search and find them

3/4" plywood, automotive carpet, and the hardtop bolts
    -Mike
    2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, cage, 2" lift, hydro, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JKred View Post
    Thats about the simplest way.

At some point I was thinking of doing the same thing. Decided to go with the bestop duster cover. Just as secure as a soft top

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote Originally Posted by JKred View Post
    Sounds pretty easy to me.

2010 Rescue Green Unlimited / 3" Synergy / 35" Toyo RT / Superchips / Ace Sliders / Rubicon D44 Front w/ E-Locker / Synergy Tie Rod / Synergy Track Bar / DIY PSC Hydro Assist / Rugged Ridge Snorkel / Rigid Industries Duallys / PSC Evap Skid / Full Clayton Skids

JK Freak
    I made two. It has to be two pieces to get coverage and still be able to install. The first one I used 1/2 plywood (had it laying around) and was a bit flimsy and I didn't like where I cut it for the front/back section. I cut a slot out to fit around the roll bar/seatbelt can and had the front/back joint behind the roll bar. I have half doors and didn't think it through, that arrangement didn't leave me room for my upper storage.

It acted as a template for the 2nd one I made out of 3/4" plywood. This one I have the front/back joint at the front of the roll bar which gives me about 2 equal pieces. Now I can pull one, and still have room for my uppers to fit. Got some cheap brackets and my high lift mounts on top of the front section right up close to the back seat on top of the cover.

I just measured and trimmed the wood down close, then kept shaving more off with a jig saw until I was happy with it. I cut around the tailgate bar so I can leave it in place even with the top on/up. I used 4 T-nuts pressed into the wood (2 on each side) and bolts in from the bottom on the front section. The rear section I have two carriage bolts driven into the wood (1 on each side) and drop it on and have knob's (nuts with handle) that I can put on from the bottom. This allows me to remove the rear section without tools for the half door storage.

Both pieces, front and back, are covered with a gray automotive carpet I got at Meijer's held on with a 3M spray adhesive and stapled on the underside in far enough not to be on the tub. I like it. With 3/4" it has some flex to it, but not so much that I worry about throwing a tool bag up on it. I have a piece of low profile Unistrut that I had considered attaching to the underside to stiffen it up, but it hasn't been enough of an issue that I decided that I needed to do it and I also didn't want to lose the 1" of headroom.

Other than folding the rear seat forward, it keeps things secure as you can in a Jeep if you lock the tailgate. Keeps stuff contained when on the trail. Lately, I have been toying with the idea of bolting in a truck box in the back in lieu of the cover, but that is a function of my half doors and needing storage for them. Really only applies during spring/fall or long road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
    I made two. It has to be two pieces to get coverage and still be able to install. The first one I used 1/2 plywood (had it laying around) and was a bit flimsy and I didn't like where I cut it for the front/back section. I cut a slot out to fit around the roll bar/seatbelt can and had the front/back joint behind the roll bar. I have half doors and didn't think it through, that arrangement didn't leave me room for my upper storage.

It acted as a template for the 2nd one I made out of 3/4" plywood. This one I have the front/back joint at the front of the roll bar which gives me about 2 equal pieces. Now I can pull one, and still have room for my uppers to fit. Got some cheap brackets and my high lift mounts on top of the front section right up close to the back seat on top of the cover.

I just measured and trimmed the wood down close, then kept shaving more off with a jig saw until I was happy with it. I cut around the tailgate bar so I can leave it in place even with the top on/up. I used 4 T-nuts pressed into the wood (2 on each side) and bolts in from the bottom on the front section. The rear section I have two carriage bolts driven into the wood (1 on each side) and drop it on and have knob's (nuts with handle) that I can put on from the bottom. This allows me to remove the rear section without tools for the half door storage.

Both pieces, front and back, are covered with a gray automotive carpet I got at Meijer's held on with a 3M spray adhesive and stapled on the underside in far enough not to be on the tub. I like it. With 3/4" it has some flex to it, but not so much that I worry about throwing a tool bag up on it. I have a piece of low profile Unistrut that I had considered attaching to the underside to stiffen it up, but it hasn't been enough of an issue that I decided that I needed to do it and I also didn't want to lose the 1" of headroom.

Other than folding the rear seat forward, it keeps things secure as you can in a Jeep if you lock the tailgate. Keeps stuff contained when on the trail. Lately, I have been toying with the idea of bolting in a truck box in the back in lieu of the cover, but that is a function of my half doors and needing storage for them. Really only applies during spring/fall or long road trips.
    Any pictures of the two separate pieces just for an idea. I k were I would most likely need two pieces.

Here are pics I found on web on diff forum. I'm going to do same thing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367048003.953436.jpg 
Views:	1164 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	33332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367048016.594985.jpg 
Views:	1035 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	33333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367048031.253317.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	33334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367048042.506235.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	33335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367048056.822445.jpg 
Views:	1150 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	33336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367048071.124371.jpg 
Views:	1025 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	33337
    Guy did great job.
    Here is site://:
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...er-jk-1073414/

Soy un perdedor

You might PM Climr. He made a rough version for his.

Sent via Wonkavision
    I just saw three people jogging outside my window and it inspired me... to get up and close the blinds.