Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior JK Freak

front axle seals leaking

i was told my front axle seals are leaking on both side what does this mean?

Means you'll see gear oil near the ends of the axle shafts. The gear oil inside the front differential is held in by those front axle seals. To replace them, the differential carrier [axle shafts included] need to come out.
    '09 2dr Rubicon - 6spd | 37s | 4.88s | DIY PSC Ram | OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evan's Beadlocks | + other stuff

FaceBook.com/GoodyOffRoad
    Build Thread

^^ in addition to seeing it at the ends of the axles you'll notice the oil seeping out and pooling on the bottom of the C's. There's some work to be done to get everything out of the way to do the seals. You 'should' be able to knock it out in a day.
    2010 Mango Tango 2dr on 33" STT's plus bumpers- no more, no less.

Senior Moderator

Been there... while your there get some tube end seals from Alloy, they will keep the crap out of the Axle tubes, which can possibly cause that leak...

Last edited by ECHO; 04-19-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership
    Generally just a Crusty ole Smart Arse
    2018 JKU RUBICON RECON EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by ECHO View Post
    Been there... while your there get some tube end seals from Alloy, they will keep the crap out of the Axle tubes, which can possibly cause that leak...

What I don't like about those is if the inner axle seals leak and those outer seals hold back enough gear oil..you can starve your diff, while not "leaking", and not even know it!
    '09 2dr Rubicon - 6spd | 37s | 4.88s | DIY PSC Ram | OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evan's Beadlocks | + other stuff

FaceBook.com/GoodyOffRoad
    Build Thread

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by goodysgotacuda View Post
    What I don't like about those is if the inner axle seals leak and those outer seals hold back enough gear oil..you can starve your diff, while not "leaking", and not even know it!
    Very true, I feel it depends on what terrain you wheel in that should be considered.. I wheel in the woods, streams,muddy/rocky trails... PA is also know for its shale...So mix all that togeather and add some wet leaves .. When they get in the tubes and the axle churns them for awhile..say by by seals from the outside.. lol Now someone in a drier environment, probably would be a waste of money unless they wheel in the sand alot, then it can have the same effect..
    Hi I am Craig
    Retired USAF, Currently Service Manager at a Dodge/Chrysler JEEP & Ram Dealership

Senior JK Freak
    so is it something that needs to be done right away? its pretty expensive and i already need to replace 4 37 inch tires rotors brakes and the serpinine and A/C belt can it wait or is it a right away kind of problem

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by doubleohsevenjk View Post
    so is it something that needs to be done right away? its pretty expensive and i already need to replace 4 37 inch tires rotors brakes and the serpinine and A/C belt can it wait or is it a right away kind of problem
    Keep an eye on the fluid level and you will be okay, I drove for a year on my last leaking seal.. a tsp of fluid looks like a in your lower "C".. Just keep an eye on it if it gets worse then you may have to get it done sooner then later
    Hi I am Craig

New JK Freak

Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by ECHO View Post

First time posting here, hopefully its legible.
    I`ve thought of adding seals to the outer end of the tubes, but you are the first person I've seen with the same idea. I notice theres a slight gap 1/8" give or take between the end of the tube, and the C bracket control arm face. (not sure of the exact name).
    Where do you find these outer seals? and how much? website as I live in Canada.
    Perhaps drilling, and tapping a 1/4" hole on the bottom of the axle tube on each side would be a way to pull a plug to see if fluid is leaking past the axle seal at the the diff.?
    Is there a such thing as a transparent diff. cover, to be able to track the fluid level in the diff. after the outer seals have been added?
    I live in Nova Scotia Canada, winters can be snowy, things melt and freeze, big puddles, driving in swamps, blah blah. replaced the seals this summer, did a great job on them, took all day, first time doing it. They are leaking 4-5 months later, again. Don't want to keep replacing them. 60$ for the seals, 30$ for Mopar diff. fluid, and a tube of gasket maker, plus a couple cans of rust check as I like to coat the bottom of the jeep whenever I do anything to it.
    I believe its a Dana 30 axle on my sport.
    Also who ever is planning on replacing these, ensure that the clamps holding the differential in place are replaced in "EXACTLY" the same way as they came out. They can't be switched or turned upside down. Well you will be capable of switching them but make sure you don't!

2013 jeep wrangler sport 2 door. 32" tires

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Robk1991 View Post
    First time posting here, hopefully its legible.
    Where do you find these outer seals? and how much?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...SABEgJnkPD_BwE
    Hi I am Craig