PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Lights

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Installing my PSC RockBrawler rear bumper with reverse lights...which wire do you tap into for the reverse lights? TIA!

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Nevermind...only two wires going into the reverse light. White with green stripe

MikekiM
05-31-2012, 05:10 PM
No relay?

I did a SPDT switch on the A-Pillar for aux backup lights.

Full on - OFF - On with Reverse

Work awesome.

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Nah, I have no need for a switch...and I figured the LEDs would draw very little power so I was just going to splice into the backup lights on the tail lamps.

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I am not an expert with the electrical work...so if there is something majorly wrong with that setup...LET ME KNOW! lol.

Brandon1024
05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
I doubt there is much power being given to the reverse lights but the LED's draw so little I think you will be fine... Key word. THINK

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 05:19 PM
I guess I will find out when I get home and wire them up...lol.

Brandon1024
05-31-2012, 05:24 PM
What could go wrong? You blow a fuse? NBD a lot easier than running wire all the way back to find out you could have just done that

karls10jk
05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
LED's will be fine without a relay or anything else. They draw so little power that it's not even funny. I'm 2 seconds from re-wiring my backup lights to just the reverse lights. The lights I have are so pathetic that they aren't really worth the time to have them on a switch (even though it's all wired up like that already)

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
I just don't understand why I would want them on a switch? Maybe to flash a person riding my ass? I just hit my brakes for that....lol

616fun
05-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I just don't understand why I would want them on a switch? Maybe to flash a person riding my ass? I just hit my brakes for that....lol

I use mine loading gear in the back of the Jeep in the dark.

karls10jk
05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
I have mine on a switch so that I can have "work" lights without having the jeep in reverse and the key on. It was nice when I had fog lights back there as "reverse/ work" lights. They were insanely bright and worked well for camping.

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I could see those situations being helpful. Especially the camping....YET, still not enough for me to install a switch, lol

armadaskier
05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
I think the other reason people put them on the a switch is for wheeling at night and camping.Not that big of a deal to me or most other people though

MikekiM
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
The switch and relay do complicate the install a bit. It worth it IMHO

I use mine, as others do, as utility lights as well as aux reverse lights. So a switch was important.

Without it, and using LEDs, you should be fine tapping into the reverse lights. If the CanBus is going to give you a problem you will know it right away. If you add the switch I would suggest a relay and a diode to prevent back feed when the aux lights are on without the reverse lights.

Easy to do and an ounce of prevention...

Sent from The Void

Pennswoods
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
I was about to ask the same question... Saw these cheapies in Wally World and started wondering... :)

Tap directly or switch? I'll watch this thread for more. I'm thinking these could be directly wired in w/o a switch.

MikekiM
05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Any of the LED units can be wired direct as they draw so little that CanBus will probably play nice. If you are running anything else, it's better to trigger a relay drawing direct power, whether or not you are using a toggle. If you wire them so the aux lights are drawing from a factory circuit but will be on when the factory circuit isn't, it is a good idea to add a small diode to prevent back feed into the OE circuitry.

sringer
05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
I had my LoD lights wired to backup and a switch. Worked fine for me. No relay needed

Sent from me to you, using my iPhone

karls10jk
05-31-2012, 11:30 PM
The LoD lights have some hellacious draw on them, the pilots. I don't recall how my brother wired his up but I know they aren't straight on the reverse light circuit but I do think he has a relay in place. A relay is a good way to do things like the pilots since they draw more than LED's.

sringer
05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
This is true

Sent from me to you, using my iPhone

Warhawk
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
I didnt get around to it today since it decided to Thunderstorm 4 hours before what the weather man said. Will do in morning, hopefully

MikekiM
06-01-2012, 06:26 AM
I had my LoD lights wired to backup and a switch. Worked fine for me. No relay needed

Yeah, I hear that.. there is always a debate over relay or no relay..

Wiring them direct will work as long as CanBus doesn't throw a hissy fit. The relay just protects the electrical system. With all the 'beefing-up' of components we do on these rigs, it just makes sense to spend the five bucks and add the relay so something doesn't fry a hundred miles from an Autozone.. The entire electrical system is tied together and bad things can happen in that configuration.

Warhawk
06-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Wired up the lights. Just tapped into the reverse lights like planned. They work like a champ!
Just FYI...on my harness for the driver tail light...the White/Green wire that goes into the reverse light isnt the same as the white/green wire that goes into the harness. Realized that after i wired it up the first time and they would come on with the brake lights. SO, it is the white/brown wire going INTO the harness and White/green coming out and going into the reverse light. Made more sense when i actually looked at how everything lined up when the harness was plugged in. Smh at myself, lol

fadeout
06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Good to know, I'm planning on doing the same with a pair of dually's I have sitting around as I wait for the rest of my rearend to show up. I don't see the point in a switch either...less work = more play.

AREA 13
06-02-2012, 08:25 PM
mikekim, do you have a simple diagram of how you did it, for us non technical wiring people.

MikekiM
06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Just FYI...on my harness for the driver tail light...the White/Green wire that goes into the reverse light isnt the same as the white/green wire that goes into the harness. Realized that after i wired it up the first time and they would come on with the brake lights. SO, it is the white/brown wire going INTO the harness and White/green coming out and going into the reverse light. Made more sense when i actually looked at how everything lined up when the harness was plugged in. Smh at myself, lol

Mine is the same.. I wanted to use the white & green that runs along the drivers footwell to trigger the relay, but it isn't the same wire. I ended up running the trigger wire from the taillight.

mikekim, do you have a simple diagram of how you did it, for us non technical wiring people.

I do... Not sure how simple it is though. The OEM Circuit is the feed from the reverse lights, which you pick up at the light or in the harness if you can find it. If the switch is to this side, the aux lights come on when the reverse lights come on, otherwise the aux lights are off. The Accessory Circuit, in my case, was power to the cig lighter. This simply told the system if the the cig went hot and the DT switch was flipped to that side, turn the aux lights on regardless of the status of the revers lights. The Aux lights will stay on as long as the cig sees power. The middle position on the switch is aux lights off all the time.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/rford44/JK Wrangler/3PositionSwitchSchemattic.jpg

Pennswoods
02-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I used a pair of cheap "burners" from autozone. Tapped the wiring harness along the lip of the drivers side tub rail
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/ne5y4yda.jpg. Sorry the pic sucks. The hot wire was white with a gray stripe. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/amytava2.jpg
Then I tapped the black wire in the bundle for ground.

Ran them through the grommet out of the tub into the cavity behind the left taillight, then out they the bottom of the license plate bracket. Screwed the lights bracket right into the bumper cover and tucked it into the space between the bumper and the body under the tailgate. Did not do the passenger side yet. Nothing special but a good improvement for 20 bucks and an hour of time. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/y2ymeba8.jpg

Pennswoods
02-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Both done...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/17/hadene9e.jpg

Pow! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/17/uhehuhuh.jpg

I know they're cheap, but they do help a bit and it was fun to screw around in the garage.

emoody007
02-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Most automotive grad LED's are designed to work on a 12v system which they do not need any modification or supression to work. The only acception would be an LED replacement bulb for a turn signal. You will need a relay to control the blink speed to normal. Without the relay they will blink real fast which I think is fine. As far as backup lights, splicing them into existing reverse lights is fine. The advantage of having them on a toggle switch is you can flip them on in park when you need light behind your Rig for whatever reason or to get some A-hole off you butt. The only disadvantage to having them on a toggle is having to flip the switch when you back up vs. them coming on automatically. However there is a way to wire them into the reverse lights and splicing a hot wire from a toggle switch to flip them on whenever you want and still keep the auto reverse featrue.