PDA

View Full Version : Bestop Trektop review

feeny264
03-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I am going to buy a soft top for my 2012 wrangler. I wanted to see if anyone can give me some reviews on the Bestop Trektop. I like the looks of it but without a rail system I am thinking that it will be noisy on the highway. thanks for any input

jbsmith44
03-20-2012, 11:59 PM
I have the trek top nx and it is like having a hardtop as far as noise goes. It is unbelievable how quite it is over the oe top. I can finally hear my music and have a conversation on the phone or with someone in the car without screaming. And the look can't be beat. Give christian at justjeepgear.com a shout and let him know I told you to contact him. You wont beat his price I promise you. And get the trek top nx not the trek top. Far more features ....So pm justjeepgear and get it ordered you wont be disappointed I promise

MikekiM
03-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Second the praise of the Nx..

I absolutely love mine

Inigo Montoya
03-21-2012, 04:55 AM
I'll echo the above. I've had mine on for almost four months now and couldn't be happier.

The price was obviously a draw. But I also like not having a "frame". When you add in the ability to remove the windows and still have a bikini, it's a no-brainer.

Sent via Wonkavision

CLEJeepGirl
03-21-2012, 06:24 AM
I love my Trektop NX. Lots of options to just remove certain pieces. It's quiet. And... It looks awesome with the sloped back. Gives my Jeep a whole new look.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

brother ika
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I was looking at buying this also. If it doesn't use a frame, how does it go on? what does it use? I hate the OE frame, PITA to flip open on a JKU by yourself.

JK10
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I was looking at buying this also. If it doesn't use a frame, how does it go on? what does it use? I hate the OE frame, PITA to flip open on a JKU by yourself.

I know in the back it uses the factory roll bars

MikekiM
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
If it doesn't use a frame, how does it go on? what does it use? I hate the OE frame, PITA to flip open on a JKU by yourself.

It uses a few points for support.. The Sport Bar in the middle, windshield header at the front, a contact point on the door surrounds (not on the OE top) that secures it when you fold back the Sunrider feature and at the rear (at least on the two door) there are straps that come down from the back of the bikini top to the belt rail to stretch it.

Folding back the Sunrider is a piece of cake.. easier than on the OE because the NX doesn't have the elbow in the middle of the folding panel which for me always created an unecessary challenge of trying to fold the soft top material as I opened the Sunrider. It always required I move from one side of the Jeep to the other to fold it flat. Not so on the NX. Just un-latch and fold it back.

That said, you do have the addition of the removable bow across the cabin that keeps the top from sagging. You can leave that installed when you fold the Sunrider back, or if you prefer, just pop the bar out and toss it in the back.

JK10
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
mm I like the trek top idea more and more I hear people talk about it

Scooter Scott
03-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Hell I'm liking it more and more myself....wifey doesn't like the look of the slant back though.

2008SLVRJK
03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
I just installed mine the other day. It is way quitier than the OEM softtop even with halfdoors. My wife loves the new top and the fact that she's not yelling at me now while we're driving down the highway. I think you'd be very happy with the purchase of the trektop nx. Here's a couple of photos of my new top.

MikekiM
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Hell I'm liking it more and more myself....wifey doesn't like the look of the slant back though.

Fastback on the Unlimited is much more dramatic and eats into cargo space much more than on the two door.. though the JKU still nets a ton more space than I have behind my seat.

Only drawback I see so far... my soft uppers don't sit right because the tongue on the window that goes in the slot on the door surround, doesn't sit right and prevents the upper from sealing fully and now I MUST do some kind of security deck..

Southern Discomfort
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm loving mine! Was worried at first with the look on a 2dr but now, I'm pleased as pie!

feeny264
03-21-2012, 09:21 PM
thanks for the info everyone... the trektop it is!

0lllll0
06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I Ordered mine this week from Northridge, they have something like 20 or 30 in stock. I called every one in Canada and USA, Northridge was the only one to have it in stock, and there Canada shipping is reasonable, not making money on the shipping like most retailers that ship to Canada.
Does any one now if I can remove the side windows but leave the rear.

Slob
06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Love mine. much better than the stock soft top. love the looks windows in or out

Inigo Montoya
06-20-2012, 05:18 AM
I Ordered mine this week from Northridge, they have something like 20 or 30 in stock. I called every one in Canada and USA, Northridge was the only one to have it in stock, and there Canada shipping is reasonable, not making money on the shipping like most retailers that ship to Canada.
Does any one now if I can remove the side windows but leave the rear.

Nope. If you remove one, they all need to be off. Take the side windows off and the rear will simply blow off it's top tongue and groove connection. Also, if you plan on taking the doors off, but leaving the windows on, it would be wise to remove the back window.

MikekiM
06-20-2012, 07:23 AM
....Also, if you plan on taking the doors off, but leaving the windows on, it would be wise to remove the back window.

Good advice here..

At a minimum, unzip the back window a few inches just to allow the air to blow through.

I still can't get the top edges of the windows to stay tucked in. I've adjusted the bikini forward, moved the side pivots for the arms forward, adjusted the latches and it looks like I need about a half inch of additional travel forward before the windows will stay tucked. It pisses me off pretty bad..

halo216
06-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Anyone use there's in winter? I saw one locally for sale few months ago but the seller made a comment about liking his stock soft top for winter better.

MikekiM
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
I still have my factory hard top for winter.

e-jeep
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Just a note about fastback style tops ...having run a ORH top for quite a while, be sure you're not going to miss the extra space in the back. It may not seem like you're losing much space, but IMO it's more than one might think. I sold my fastback top for an OEM top for that very reason. If that's not an issue/concern for you then I'd say go for it. It is a very cool look.

MikekiM
06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
The loss of space due to the fastback design is more significant for the JKU's than the JK.. We don't have much space to begin with.

hagausaf
06-20-2012, 01:41 PM
trektop nx is amazing. sold my hardtop due to it.

Southern Discomfort
06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
trektop nx is amazing. sold my hardtop due to it.

Hmmm...I may do that too! What did you get for it?

Brandon1024
06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
i have the trek top nx and it is like having a hardtop as far as noise goes. It is unbelievable how quite it is over the oe top. I can finally hear my music and have a conversation on the phone or with someone in the car without screaming. And the look can't be beat. Give christian at justjeepgear.com a shout and let him know i told you to contact him. You wont beat his price i promise you. And get the trek top nx not the trek top. Far more features ....so pm justjeepgear and get it ordered you wont be disappointed i promise

car?!

Inigo Montoya
06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Anyone use there's in winter? I saw one locally for sale few months ago but the seller made a comment about liking his stock soft top for winter better.

Put mine on in December. Don't know why he'd say that, other than the fit. It was a huge PITA putting it on in 50 degree weather. Also, I guess if you were to take the back window out, reattaching it would be a pain. But as far as warmth, no difference. IMO, it should actually work better, since it will shrink just a bit and give a tight fit.

I still can't get the top edges of the windows to stay tucked in. I've adjusted the bikini forward, moved the side pivots for the arms forward, adjusted the latches and it looks like I need about a half inch of additional travel forward before the windows will stay tucked. It pisses me off pretty bad..

Which windows? You talking about the tongue and groove on the rear?

hagausaf
06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Good advice here..

At a minimum, unzip the back window a few inches just to allow the air to blow through.

I use a rubber mallet to tap them into place. Worked like a charm

Sold it for a grand to a local on the fast. Could've got 1500 I'm sure though if I waited and got greedy

MikekiM
06-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I posted a picture of them earlier in this read.. The top of the side window tongues go in the slot on the door surrounds but as soon as all is buttoned up, the top four or five inches pull out of the slots.

So far I have.. Adjusted the spring brackets as far in and forward as possible; adjusted the windshield header bar so it pulls the top forward; adjusted the pivot for the QR connector on the Sunrider arm forward. Only thing that works is driving a little wedge into the slot to hold the tongue in there...

bradm
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
@MikekiM - Mine was like that at first. I fought with it several times. It is better now after a few on/off cycles, but I'm still not quite happy with the fit of that section. I ended up fitting that hard section into the surround groove and then closing the door on it. That helped keep it in place while I went around back and cursed at the back window until it eventually fell into place.

P.S. I have an OEM tailgate bar en route. Hopefully that will end the back window pain in the ass - especially now that I have a Tuffy tailgate deck in the way too.

MikekiM
06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
@MikekiM - Mine was like that at first. I fought with it several times. It is better now after a few on/off cycles, but I'm still not quite happy with the fit of that section. I ended up fitting that hard section into the surround groove and then closing the door on it. That helped keep it in place while I went around back and cursed at the back window until it eventually fell into place.

P.S. I have an OEM tailgate bar en route. Hopefully that will end the back window pain in the ass - especially now that I have a Tuffy tailgate deck in the way too.

Thanks.. I am using the OE tailgate bar too. And a Tuffy Security Enclosure. It's a great setup.

I've had the top on since.. maybe.. end of March. It hasn't improved since then. Overall, I thing the entire top needs like another 1/4" all around. My rear window still doesn't zipper the last two inches.

I've tried the door-close trick, but I use Rugged Ridge half doors with soft uppers so there isn't much pressure on the window because the soft uppers flex out. The only thing that works is the little plastic wedge driven in the slot.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but if there were a solution, it would be nice.

dadw2byz
07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
ive been looking at it, i love the slant back. after reading these i will definitly buy the nx, thanks

xraypat23
07-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I love mine! It get's limited use because i've got a set of 14 foot paddleboards that have to go up on my thule racks on the hard top. But it's great, got mine off amazon for a steal!

Navyvetnorwich91
07-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Mine has been sitting on the garage floor for a month taking up a bay, been afraid to start install. Everyone says how much a PITA it is so I been terrified to do anything with the damn thing. Now it's just a fucking dust collector. Anybody want to come over and help? Lots of beer available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mbosque09
07-18-2013, 12:21 PM
I recently purchased one off amazon as well (free 2 day shipping woot woot), and I've been pleased. It's been raining fairly constantly here the past few days and I've traveled 9 hrs in it to the beach and have been nothing but pleased. It was a pain in the behind to get on but other than that, nothing but praises.

xraypat23
07-18-2013, 12:45 PM
the first time was a little rough, but after that it's a piece of cake, you'll learn the little tricks quickly, now i can strip it off in under 20 minutes, and get it back on in 30 tops

bradm
07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
My tricks:
1. Put the top panel on, but leave the sunrider flipped back.
2. Run the cables under the pin, and hook the springs before you clip the sunrider pivots into the brackets.
3. Start the sail panel zippers, maybe 1 third of the way zipped.
4. Tuck the vertical rib on the front of the sail panels into the door surround. Close the rear doors to help keep them in place.
5. Tuck the bottoms of the sail panels into the lip on the tub just back to where the tub corner starts.
6. Start the rear window zippers. Zip them maybe 6 inches down.
7. Hook the rear window top side j-channel onto the top. Once it's all in, zip the rear window zippers down another 6 or so inches to keep it in place.
8. Pop the tailgate bar into the tub brackets. (If you got an early production trektop NX like I did and it came with a one piece bestop tailgate bar, do yourself a favor and buy and oem 3-piece style. It is 400x easier to hook, and is nearly a necessity if you have a Tuffy Security Enclosure).
9. Tuck the remainder of the sail panel bottoms into the tub lip.
10. Zip the sail panel top zippers the rest of the way.
11. Zip the rear window sides down the rest of the way.
12. Make sure the round bar above the soundbar is in its channel, and draw down the retention straps.
13. Flip the sunrider forward and latch the header bar.

The zippers are hard to get the first few times, especially the short ones along the top of the sail panels. These help tremendously:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Zipper-Pull-Replacements/17017902

Or use a loop of paracord or a key ring if you prefer.

Inigo Montoya
07-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Mine has been sitting on the garage floor for a month taking up a bay, been afraid to start install. Everyone says how much a PITA it is so I been terrified to do anything with the damn thing. Now it's just a fucking dust collector. Anybody want to come over and help? Lots of beer available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Don't be skurred... Only time it's a PITA is in cold weather. It will be a little tight the first time, but just like sex...

Umm, uh, just trust me, you'll be fine. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/hookem31/Smileys/grin-0003_zps03ada304.gif

Sent via Wonkavision

Navyvetnorwich91
08-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Hey - anybody with a Trektop NX for 4-door.... question....

There are these two little straps that the Bestop video show the guys attaching somewhere in the middle of the roof piece and they supposedly hook to center holes. I don't know wtf they are talking about. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks very much.

Dave

xraypat23
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I hook mine to the holes that the long hard top bolts go thru in the sound bar, that was the only place i've found to hook them

Navyvetnorwich91
08-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I hook mine to the holes that the long hard top bolts go thru in the sound bar, that was the only place i've found to hook them

when you say "hook" to the holes, what do you mean? And what do they connect to on the top? Is there a loop or something?

Inigo Montoya
08-12-2013, 05:10 PM
If it's the straps that I'm thinking they are, it's the same on the 2dr. I couldn't find anything to clip them to, so I took the clips off, then got some small bungees from Wally World, ran them up to the top side of the crossbar and hooked them in the two holes there.

Navyvetnorwich91
08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Ok thanks Tam.

JK Swoop
08-12-2013, 06:43 PM
I have the trektop nx for my JKU. The straps connect to loops that go around the pole that holds the top down when flipped open. The pole is held into slots to maintain the top's position when open. The straps buckle to those loops and have large hooks that fit into the screw hole the hardtop hand bolts go into. Do not flip the soft top back until these are connected! Bad juju. ;)

jerseydevil
09-05-2013, 11:41 PM
I had the trektop nx for my JKU for about 3 months. I liked the look of it, but - I had it in trektop configuration (no windows), and was traveling 70mph on the highway. Back started flapping badly after 15 miles. Recommend just leaving in the back window if highway cruising. Great look and - other than bikini mode, it's a huge improvement from the trektop v1. Def recommend justjeepgear.com!

danimal2
03-01-2014, 06:33 AM

Sold it for a grand to a local on the fast. Could've got 1500 I'm sure though if I waited and got greedy

I did this. Sold the factory hardtop for $1200 the same day I put it in Craigslist. In fact about half an hour after I posted the ad. People called me all day long trying to buy it firm at $1200. Mine was even a 2008 so not new, although it was removed a few days after we bought the jeep and stored indoors it was still 6 years old when I sold it last week. IMO you can get $1500 real easy.

Real happy with the Trektop NX.

bikecop8
05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Please school me on the difference between the original & NX Trektop - 2008 4-door version

The differences I've found so far
Rear windows aren't removeable on the original
Top flips back instead of rolls back on the NX

Does the top open over the back seat on both models?

I've got to say it like the door surrounds on the NX but I'm not sure I like the way the door flips back

Quadratec has them both within $20 of each other

Rubi10A
05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Both the hubby and I have the NX. LOVE IT! It is VERY QUIET!!!!!! As quiet as my hardtop! Fast off and fast on! Couldn't be happier (as to why we have two.) Only down side is, you can't just fold it back to take it off. You can remove all the windows and have a safari top, which is awesome open air feel with protection from sun or rain. Or, you take the whole thing off, but not fold it back. If that doesn't bother you, which I am totally fine with, it's an awesome top! No complaints! Also, love the look of the fast back. Oh, but you can also flip the front part back for a sun rider, which is great.

bikecop8
05-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the response

Does the NX flip open above the rear seats or just the front seats?

Rubi10A
05-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Hey - anybody with a Trektop NX for 4-door.... question....

There are these two little straps that the Bestop video show the guys attaching somewhere in the middle of the roof piece and they supposedly hook to center holes. I don't know wtf they are talking about. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks very much.

Dave

They go in the holes where the screws for the freedom panels are (the giant screw parts). They just clip to the hole int he middle, then cinch the strap down. It keeps the center bar in place so that when the sun rider is open, the top won't flap.

bikecop8
06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
took me two hours Sat afternoon
I think i'll like it

Rubi10A
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the response

Does the NX flip open above the rear seats or just the front seats?

Just over the front seats. It stops at the sound bar.

6Foot8
06-24-2014, 09:18 PM
I have one that I am installing tomorrow. Can't wait! Will provide a review when I'm done

Crodgers
06-24-2014, 10:24 PM
I have one that I am installing tomorrow. Can't wait! Will provide a review when I'm done

Make sure to keep it out in the sun for awhile before installing it. Makes it allot easier.

6Foot8
06-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Make sure to keep it out in the sun for awhile before installing it. Makes it allot easier.

Yea I've heard. Only going to be 81 tomorrow though... Hopefully it helps a little at least

shootnjunky
06-24-2014, 10:30 PM
It's not that big of a deal we installed ours in like 60 and it was fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6Foot8
06-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Got it done today in a little over an hour. Very easy install especially with the help of their YouTube video. Will look even better when my lift and tires come in!

http://i.imgur.com/3Q0ExcK.jpg

Jerseyjeep
07-04-2014, 11:37 AM
looks great man

6Foot8
07-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Just to bump this up a little bit...

Had mine on almost 2 weeks. 2 or 3 large rain storms, not a single leak anywhere. Love this top!

Rubi10A
07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
I have had mine on for months and never once had a issue. It is very solid, very little noise even in high winds. If you take out the rear and side windows and have the sin rider open, I do recommend moving the side hooks to the tighter holes or else they blow out very easily.

6Foot8
07-04-2014, 10:48 PM
I have had mine on for months and never once had a issue. It is very solid, very little noise even in high winds. If you take out the rear and side windows and have the sin rider open, I do recommend moving the side hooks to the tighter holes or else they blow out very easily.

Which hole do you have it in? Mines still on the furthest outside one

bikecop8
10-20-2014, 06:31 PM
how much of the hardware/brackets do you have to take off in order to put a hardtop back on it?

more specifically the metal brackets bolted on top of the rollcage

JK TREW
10-20-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm having a lot of wind noise coming from the header. Anyone else experience this ?
2013 unlimited Sahara with the newest version of the NX.

ljvsnyder
10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Mine does as well, it was used and the foam on the corners are worn, so I will see next spring when I put the new foam weatherstripping.

JK TREW
10-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Mine does as well, it was used and the foam on the corners are worn, so I will see next spring when I put the new foam weatherstripping.

Mine is less than x2 months old though.

6Foot8
10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
Mines still going strong... Going to be using it all winter so it should be fun

Haga_v3.0
11-02-2014, 03:26 PM
still kicking some serious fucking ass. Thats my review

AFMoulton
11-03-2014, 02:42 AM
If you have the high lift jack mount for the roll bar will the trek top still work?