PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Warrior build thread, and history behind it.

Wwarrior
06-24-2014, 02:58 PM
First of, I introduce myself. I did it in the new member section, but anyway. I am Alex, I'm 27, and work as a Chrysler technician for about half a year now. I've been working in a ford dealer for 3 years before. I like to build stuff for my jeep, so please don't bash on my work. I know I have copied well known companys, but If I can save a few bucks this way, I will do it.

So, It all started when I was a kid. Back then, my father had an old '73 CJ5 that he completely rebuilted, implanted a 360ci from AMC, that came off of a cherokee I think. Had 33" mud tires, SOA, hard top only. This was, what I liked to most, as a kid. If my dad was going somewhere with the jeep, I had to be there.

My brother and I, back in 1996 or something like that.

Then, in 2007, I bought my old TJ. a '97 4 banger on 31's and 3" coil spacers. Had it for 2 years. Installed 4" lift kit, 33" interco LTB, and a winch. Then, I had to sell it. I enrolled in the canadian armed forces and needed a car for the long distances I had to do.

I been in the army for a little while, then got sick and decided to go back home. As a supporter of the armed forces, whether it be american or canadian, I still like everthing around it. You will see a military thematic on my jeep. Which shows support for the troops and reminds people where the jeep brand all began.

Two years ago, I have bought a 2012 2 door JK, manual tranny, soft top only, no A/C (which I regret a lot). I wanted a jeep that was cost effective for what I intented to do with it. I had in mind a well build jeep, that would be scratched in branches, sunk in mud, sandblasted from dust, but still had a nice look. I wanted a jeep that has better fuel consumption (can't say fuel economy with a jeep), and better on-road manner, since it is my daily driver.

These pictures shows how it is actually

You can see the whole project on that page : (sorry, its a french forum :) )
http://www.quebec4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99556

I am not going to put pictures of everything since I have like 2000 pictures of the project, but you get the picture. :)

I will do a listing of the mods I have made so far :

Drivetrain ;

Rubicon diff front and rear
4.88 gears
Polyperformance upper arm bracket and flex joints
Factory locker front, sleeved and C-gussets. synergy balljoints
Eaton Elocker 4 in the rear with G2 chromo axles
tube seals

Suspension ;

RK 2.5 max travel lift kit
Fox 2.0 IFP shocks and damper
Rubicon swaybar with custom manual quick disconnect.

Bumpers/Armor ;

front is custom build by a friend, I did the plans and measurements.
rear is a smittybilt XRC
Genright steel tire carrier, I did a custom box for the brake and license plate light.
ORF rocker guards
Custom built rock sliders

Wheels & Tires ;

35" nitto mud grapplers
level 8 zx5 wheels and rock rings

Electrical/Electronics ;

offroad engineering 6 switch panel
cobra 25 ltd classic cb and wilson silverload flex 48"
rigid dually's, spot pattern
LED rock lights
tucklite headlights
Red LED stipes under the dash.

Other Mods ;

smittybilt overhead console
smittybilt tailgate storage bags
spiderweb shade trail mesh
Bushwacker flat fenders
rear pinch seams are trimed
windshield washer dual nozzle mod
vector offroad tramp stamp
vector offroad UFO's
Titan TW12 winch w/ syntec cable
Custom build hi-lift support bracket on the tailgate
Custom hood strut
Custom vacuum pump relocation bracket
Every stickers comes from pixeldecals.com

Aaaannd, that's about it. I certainly forget something, but the main stuff is there!

Here's a few pics of the rig in action

muddyman184
06-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the freaks and nice 2 door I really like the cj5 your father had

Andrew5000
06-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the Freak Show!! Nice rig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goosed
06-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Very nice build. Looks like a lot of time and money invested. Being a Chrysler service technician is a good background for users on this forum. Your inbox will always be full, so watch out!

Welcome!

Sent from your moms bed...

Fuller
06-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Awesome build

Wwarrior
06-24-2014, 09:12 PM
thanks guys!

And yes, I know that I will certainly get many pm's on technical stuff but, if I can be of any help it will be a pleasure to answer.

Here's another rig I modified this spring. This is one of my trail buddy's jeep.

It's a '12, auto, prorock 44 front, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers, RCV/chromo axles, Evo bolt-on coil overs, 37's pitbull rockers, synergy and Currie steering and suspension components. And a ton of other cool stuff.

JustJeepGear
06-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wwarrior
07-03-2014, 11:38 PM
two weeks ago I had a noise coming from the rear diff. I had a repair done last fall due to defective carrier bearing, they had to machinate the bearing mounting surface and insert a sleeve to save the locker. Unfortunately, that job was a bad job and it failed. the sleeve pressed on the carrier have not been welded, so It lost a lot of strenght, and failed.

Sooo, I ordered the new Eaton E-locker that has 4 pinion, but unforunately only 30 splines. So I ordered a set of chromo G2 axles, along with G2 ring and pinion and over haul kit. Damn it, another 2000$.

As I was going on vacancy last week, and had a jeep event, I Had to bring the jeep back on its wheels. I had a used rear carrier that was left in the work table that we removed from a customer's jeep. So as a temporary solution, I welded the internals, transfered my ring on it and reinstalled everything. It's a nightmare to drive around town, but at least I was locked in the rear for the event.

Wwarrior
07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Hooah! Got my stuff today! And if there's somebody interrested, I will have a welded rear D44 non-rubicon carrier for sale, with 4,88 ring&pinion which have ran misadjusted twice, makes noise when coasting down, but mud tire noise cover it, asking 200$ for it. And also two rear D44 factory rubicon axles, asking 150$.

Eaton E-locker 4
G2 chromo axles
G2 4,88 ring and pinion
G2 overhaul kit!

Wwarrior
07-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Ho and by the way, Here is some pictures of stuff I have built for my jeep since the begining.

47369473704737147372473734737447375473764737747378 473794738047381473824738347384473854738647387

Wwarrior
07-17-2014, 10:56 PM
God damn it!

I really think there is an evil spell on that f*king differential. I discovered in my bad luck that, rubicon and sport/sahara carrier side bearings are not the same.

At first I asked for a rubicon overhaul kit, and got a sport one. Then I called back at 4wheelparts, they sent me free rubicon carrier bearings, since it was their mistake. Tonight I opened the diff to swap the bearings and discovered something a bit fucked up and honestly, that pisses me off a lot. It's the third time I have to open it in the last 4 weeks -_-'

Rubicon bearings are 0.050" bigger in diameter, and 0.186" thinner than sport bearings. Also, the inner diameter is also different, Rubicon inner diameter is bigger than the sport. The F*ck is, that my new eaton locker has the same inner diameter of the sport, But I need a bearing that has the same outer diameter than the rubicon bearings. I believe I'm gonna have to go check at our local bearing shop for a custom sized bearing to fit that locker.

Wwarrior
07-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Still working with 4wheelparts to find something to fit in there. They called Eaton directly today, still waiting for the answer. Otherwise, they have no other choice to replace the e-locker they sold me for an ARB 35 spline with axles and air compressor. One sure thing is I will not pay for their mistake. At least, If I have to pay for the air compressor at discount, I would still be happy in the end.

And on another note, I have measured my lift height this week, and I'm reaching a solid 4" up front, and almost 4 in the rear. Impressive for a 2.5.