PDA

View Full Version : Plug and Play Aux Fog Lights?

JKred
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
So I'm looking into getting the poison spyder BFH front bumper, which would mean I would have to sacrifice fog lights, which I love (well, more than none).

I'm looking for a light that would plug and play with my factory fog wiring harness. Is there one? If not I guess I could look towards doing something with a switch, but I would prefer the ease of hookin up to the factory controller.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Settle
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I have the cheapo Walmart fog lights and I just spliced them into the factory harness. Been on there for over 3 months now with no problems.

I know some of the larger light can't work with the factory harness, at least that's what I read on the internet so it has to be true right, but these smaller ones have been great so far and they are a less expensive alternative.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/briansettle/JK%20Build/367da61b.jpg

Scooter Scott
01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Make sure you get some that don't pull a lot of power. I'm sure the wiring for the stockers don't allow for much...but they should be plenty for the cheapies from Walmart for example...and those fog lights actually dont do too bad.

Badpunkin
01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
In general the computer system complains/doesn't work when electronics are added. Unless you just moved and reused your existing fog lights , I would not bother trying to make them plug and play. At our last M&G we wired up a pair of windshield lights in a parking lot in under 30 minutes. Just add whatever light you like and a separate switch.

JKred
01-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Hmmm so it would be better just to wire up aux lights with their own switch if I decide to go this route?

Any suggestions in a good light?

Scooter Scott
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Any suggestions in a good light?

That's a loaded question...do you want to spend a lot or a little? I spent under $40 on mine...bright as hell and they simply work. Pro Comp 100w lights.

JKred
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
I want them to do the job and look decent. I know everyone loved the duallys, they would be subtle enough and aren't terribly expensive.

jhurd@BRC
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
I would like to see some one run a 10" ridgid light in their stinger, I haven't seen that one yet.

mhaines
01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
I would like to see some one run a 10" ridgid light in their stinger, I haven't seen that one yet.

I need to get different mounts and it's a hoop, not a stinger, but I'm liking the Rigid :) And since this pic was taken, the windshield lights have been replaced with D2s

JKred
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM

It would function as a good fog light I'd consider it. I was looking at the dually models, not sure what would make a good fog.....

JKred
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
And I just got an email back from PSC saying their comin out with a stinger model of the brawler lite in the spring. Damn this decision will be hard hahah

Badpunkin
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I've got HIDs and for the money I would do LEDs next time. Rigid is definitely the best, but there are quite a few decent companies that sell LEDs too.

Yamaha90
01-31-2012, 06:07 PM
I found a great set of lights at autozone for $24 bucks. They are the little oval lights by Pilot Automotive, they have a 55w H3 halogen bulb and work great as fogs. I would assume you can just find which wire is the power and ground from your stock fogs and tie a set right in for use of the factory switch. If that doesn't work you can always add a switch later.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Yamaha90_2006/Jeep%20Lighting/PilotFogs1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Yamaha90_2006/Jeep%20Lighting/PilotFogs6.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Yamaha90_2006/Jeep%20Lighting/PilotFogs3.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Yamaha90_2006/Jeep%20Lighting/PilotFogs9.jpg

Had these on since October with no issues.

Also, if you look at some of the Mopar bumper pictures, these lights are identical to the "Mopar" add on fogs to their after market bumpers.

Vulcan Classic
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I added some 7" lights to my lightbar from Northern Tool, $12.99 ea.; they are 100W lamps so I added a 40A relay and 20A auto resetting circuit breaker from Advance Auto Parts mounted under hood on drivers side next to existing relay bank. I ran power from the battery to relay/CB and then down to the lights, and the relay coil is wired to the driver side fog light plug so they work with the factory controller switch on steering column; I think the factory fog lights are only 40W so computer senses additional power draw with 100W lamps wired directly, so this worked out well for me.

Ludski
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
ive been running hella 500ffs off my factory fog wiring for like 7 months now. no problems. just cut and spliced. theyre just a little bright for other drivers. but no problems pulling the wattage.

Inigo Montoya
02-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Over on "another forum", I was told not to splice. I had to dump my lights when I got my SRC bumper, so I thought I'd use the wiring for rock lights. Was told by my dealer that the fogs are 42w, but most lights are 55w. Went to Wal Mart, got a set of their Platinum Burners, and used them.

Mopar does make a wiring harness extension...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97006_150.htm

I installed it and have had no problems.

JKred
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Say I wanted to run some dually's then? I could prolly run them off the factory controller?

Wouldn't the led have less draw?

Ludski
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
they have less draw yes.

but MIGHT have some weird minor flicker in the light. because LEDs pull a different power signal than bulbs.

but it wont be something you notice unless you have a slow motion camera on it.

zaknafien
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
That's my question at this point too, whether or not I could get rid of the stock fogs when I go to an aftermarket bumper and use the same wiring harness/control scheme for running a set of amber duallys in the diffuse pattern for fogs. Less power draw than stock with significantly more light output.

Or some white diffused D2s if I was feeling crazy about it.

MikekiM
02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
That's my question at this point too, whether or not I could get rid of the stock fogs when I go to an aftermarket bumper and use the same wiring harness/control scheme for running a set of amber duallys in the diffuse pattern for fogs. Less power draw than stock with significantly more light output.

Or some white diffused D2s if I was feeling crazy about it.

I am running a set of Pilot 55 watt fogs, mounted in the stock bumper, stock location and using the stock wiring circuit and stalk mounted switch. No codes or issues with the CanBus. Been running these since the summer without a hiccup.

I don't use the fogs as much since upgrading to the IPF headlights, but the fogs are crazy bright.

Pilot just came out with the same light in a clear lens which I will be swapping in shortly...

http://www.emotion-images.com/img/s3/v38/p409692407-3.jpg

Vulcan Classic
02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Others have reported problems trying to run aftermarket lighting wired directly to the factory fog harnesses, mainly 100W or higher, thats why I chose to run aux relay controlled by the stock switch